Everyday Mom's Meals: Another New Kitchen Gadget
_____

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Another New Kitchen Gadget

Post Christmas I shared with all of you what a lucky foodie I was during the holiday season. I received so many wonderful new kitchen items to use and cook with, I was in food blogger heaven! One of the many new fun items I now have to experiment with is a mandolin!

I have wanted one for so long, and one day while shopping at a kitchen outlet store my mom and I found one for under $10. She bought it and marked it off my Christmas list! (And yes, this was in May, and by December 25th I had forgotten about it!) It's nothing fancy, but perfect for what I will need it for. It comes with various attachments for slicing, julienne, and grating.


I knew the first thing I wanted to do with it was make homemade potato chips! To be honest, I've tried to do these before by thinly slicing the potatoes with a sharp knife, and they never turned out crisp enough, obviously because I could never get the slices thin enough! Well, now I can and did! These make a great side dish that you can feel good about giving your family, because you control the ingredients! Flavor them however you like, from garlic, to cheese to herbs! If you are going to be hosting a Super Bowl party, wow your guests with a big bowl of these so they can snack without feeling too guilty!

I am such a foodie, new kitchen gadgets make me so happy! They are only topped by a new Coach purse...but you can't cook soup in it!

Baked Potato Chips
4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and patted dry
1/4 cup butter, melted
French Fry Seasoning

Preheat oven to 500. Using a mandolin, thinly slice potatoes about 1/8" thick. Pat slices dry between paper towels. Place on 2 greased baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Cook 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Start checking after 15 minutes and rotate baking sheets once during cooking. Be careful, once these start to brown, they can burn easily. Remove from oven and sprinkle with French fry seasoning. Allow to cool before serving.


Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 24, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Jan. 25, 2013
Potatoes at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

2 comments:

The Better Baker said...

Oh what a fantastic idea! They look awesome. I love foodie 'helpers' too - what a kick to get something you've wanted for so long. Thanks so much for linking up...and linking back...at Weekend Potluck.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
You have reminded me that I should get my little gadget out and use it more often. Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen