Everyday Mom's Meals: 90's Television In My Kitchen
_____

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

90's Television In My Kitchen

The new sandwich I promised to share with you today is more than likely not new to some of you. In fact, the sandwich itself isn't even new to me. I've heard of it many times, but have never eaten it, let alone made it. Many moons ago I heard the term "loose meat sandwich". For some reason it sounded so familiar to me. I researched it, found many recipes, but couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was so recognizable to me. I asked Adam if he had ever heard of them and indeed he had; but that didn't help me to figure out why I knew about them having never eaten one. It was one of those things that stays in the back of your mind for days, bugging you constantly. Then all of a sudden, I remembered! I can't even tell you why or how I thought of it, but Loose Meat Sandwiches were what they served at the restaurant on the show "Roseanne". Whew...talk about being able to sleep at night! It's crazy when something so meaningless can really drive you crazy! And what's even crazier is how once the mystery is solved how quickly it disappears from your mind. I didn't really think about these sandwiches again until that set of Crock Pot recipes I told you about yesterday. There was one included for these, but since I was already making the Southwest Mac and Cheese, I compromised, made them in a skillet, and they turned out perfectly. As we told Alex when he asked what they were "They are kind of like a sloppy jo without the sloppy. It still has a little bit of a sauce quality, but is much dryer than it's messy cousin. And the secret to deliciousness? Brown sugar. It gives these a slight sweet note in the background that makes them extra yummy. Thank goodness I finally figured out what my brain new all along...90's television could bring us something new and tasty to eat!

Tavern Sandwiches 
1 lb. ground beef
1/8 c. mustard
1/8 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. ketchup
Salt and Pepper to taste
Sliced Bread & Butter Pickles, optional
Diced Onion, optional
Hamburger Buns

In a large skillet, brown meat over medium heat, breaking it up as fine as possible. Drain if necessary. Add ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. Stir well to combine and allow sauce to coat all of the meat. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook 5-7 minutes to let flavors develop. Serve on buns topped with pickles and onions if desired.
*NOTE* If you wish to cook these in the Crock Pot: Brown beef, transfer to Crock Pot, add ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Cook on LOW 4-6 hours.



Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Jan. 9, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 10, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Jan. 11, 2013
2013 Superbowl and Chili

8 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Krista,
Loose meat sandwiches!!!! That's why it sounded so familiar. I actually just made it this weekend, adapting a recipe from here: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/12/crockpot-cheeseburgers
Please forgive my technological unsaavyness. I have no idea how to make a "tiny URL"
Anyway this is nearly the same thing, but on a larger scale with the addition of cheese. I modified it slightly because her's called for way more beef than I had use for. But cheeseaholic that I am, I love the addition of it's creamy goodness.
If you do it with cheese, be sure to add some milk too. I used the same proportions of milk, mustard, and ketchup. I also used cubed (please don't hate!!!) velveeta, simply cause of its melt factor, it was well suited to the crockpot.
Thank you, Krista, for sharing this version. It is much easier to adapt your version to my own family of 2 adults and a picky toddler. My DH requested this again on the menu. I think I'll try your version next week.
Thank you for sharing. :)

Krista said...

Ha! I think they go by many names and everyone always recognizes them eventually!

Mindy | Pie on Sunday said...

Hi Krista,

When I saw "loose meat sandwiches", I immediately thought of Roseanne! I love them and have eaten them a few different ways, so I'm sharing the recipes with you.

The first one we just call "Beef Burgers" and they are simple. Brown and drain 2 lbs. ground beef, mix in a can of condensend chicken gumbo soup (do not add water), and simmer. Serve on buns. Very easy!

The second is a pork version of your recipe, "Pork Taverns" or "Pork Rites" (like Maid-rites). Brown and drain 2 lbs. ground pork, add 2 T. vingegar, 1 c. ketchup, 2 T. brown sugar (or more to taste), 1 tsp. ground mustard, 1 tsp. salt, and you can add up to 1/2 c. water or none at all depending on how thick or sloppy you want the meat mixture. Combine and simmer for at least 30 minutes before serving on buns.

Enjoy! I will be trying your recipe soon, as I have not made that version with ground beef. Thanks for the recipe!

Mindy @ Pie on Sunday

Krista said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks of that show! LOL I love the idea of using pork, and the sauce recipe sounds a lot like the one I use for my homemade sloppy joes :)

Miz Helen said...

What a fun sandwich with fond memories. Thank you so much for celebrating TWO YEARS with FULL PLATE THURSDAY, I appreciate your visit!
Come Back Soon
Miz Helen

Shiloh Barkley said...

Yumm! These look really good!

Jean said...

Who knew? Looks like I have been making tavern sandwiches and calling them 'sloppy joes' for years. I add a little vinegar and a splash of sweet relish.....

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Whenever I hear "loose meat sandwich" I think of Roseanne!