Everyday Mom's Meals: I Make No Apologies
_____

Thursday, January 31, 2013

I Make No Apologies

If you are reading this thinking "Please don't let her be sharing yet another Crock Pot soup recipe"...please look away now. I am sorry to disappoint you, but yes, once again I am here to offer something yummy and warm that cooks itself!

But I also know many of you are thinking "Yay....another Crock Pot soup~ I can always use one more!" If you fall into that category, welcome to my world! I can just never get enough of them! On the day I made this, it was snowing, cold and it was such a comfort to have this on the counter simmering away all day long. It was almost picturesque! I don't know about you, but this time of the year tends to put me in a rut. The holidays are over, my birthday isn't until the end of February, and they seem to be the longest, coldest, darkest weeks of the year, which tend to affect my mood. But knowing supper is something warm, both for the body and soul, helps to cheer me up while filling me up!

So if you don't need another slow cooker soup, please come back tomorrow to see what I served with this, it will be worth it. But I will make no apologies for sharing this delicious recipe, for some days, a warm bowl of soup is the only think to look forward to!

Zesty Ham, Bean and Tomato Soup 
2 c. 12-bean soup mix
1 lb. diced ham
2 c. chicken broth
6 c. water
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (10 oz.) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place beans in slow cooker, OFF, and cover with water. Soak over night. The next day, drain beans well. Place back in slow cooker. Add all other ingredients. Cook on HIGH 4 hours. Lower heat to LOW and cook 3 additional hours.
*NOTE* I like to serve this with some whole wheat Texas toast croutons. Simply butter both sides of a bread, toast in skillet. Cut into bite sized pieces.



Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 31, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Feb. 1, 2013

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I use my crockpot at least twice a week. It makes it so nice to come home from work and have dinner mostly ready. Tonight I'm making garlic and brown sugar chicken - it smells divine so I hope it tastes as good as it smells.