Everyday Mom's Meals: I Can't Help Myself
_____

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

I Can't Help Myself

No matter how hard I try, I can't stay away from the potatoes. They call out to me in the produce section. Even if I have something else planned on the menu, the taters sense me walking by and entice me with their wicked ways.

Okay, I can't lie. That scenario only takes place in my mind. (In case you hadn't figured that out for yourself!) And honestly, I don't really try that hard to stay away from them. In fact, I don't try at all. They are a staple in the Marshall diet, and we can't get enough!

I think one of the reasons I gravitate towards them so much, besides the delicious factor, is no matter when it is, I can almost always find them on sale at one store or another, especially red potatoes. From the regular size to the "baby B's", they are budget friendly year round.

This recipe came about after I had once again purchased some red potatoes out of the bulk bin that were on sale for $.99/lb. I had them. I had supper to make. It was time to figure out what to do; and this is what happened. A little of this. A little of that and wah-lah a new potato recipe is born.

One of my favorite things about this preparation, is you can easily split the work into two stages. Precook the potatoes in the morning before work, or even the night before. Then you have a great head start at the end of the day. Plus, you can easily add whatever herbs and spices you feel like at the moment. Just be sure not to move them around too much in the beginning. This will give you the brown "crusty" edges you see in my picture, which is most definitely the best part!

If you have an addiction to potatoes like me, don't make apologies. Embrace it! Love it! Enjoy every single bite! 

Skillet Red Potatoes
7 medium-large red potatoes, cooked and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
4 TBS canola oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Parsley, for garnish 

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes in single layer. Do not move. Allow to cook/brown for 3-4 minutes. Stir. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Continue to fry and stir for 15 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove to serving platter, and sprinkle with parsley *NOTE* To precook my potatoes I microwaved them for 10 minutes, until just fork tender. 







Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 31, 2014


2 comments:

SmokeEater said...

Did you dice them up first and then put them in the microwave? And your also saying you microwave them before frying?

Krista said...

Yes, microwave them whole before frying. It starts the cooking process so they brown easier.