Everyday Mom's Meals: Enchiladas Turned Soup
_____

Friday, October 17, 2014

Enchiladas Turned Soup

Are you a chili lover? Is it one of the meals you look forward to most this time of year? Are you willing to switch it up and try new versions? If you answered yes to any/all of those, then you've come to the right place today!

Is there anything better on a crisp fall day than a piping hot bowl of chili? Is there anything more appropriate to enjoy while watching the game on football Sunday? Is there anything tailgating crowds crave more? If you answered yes to any/all of those, then you've come to the right place!

Okay, no more questions. Oh wait. I fibbed. Sorry. Have you tried my Chicken and Green Chile Enchiladas? If so, then you're going to l.o.v.e. this recipe!

Okay, now I'm done for real this time. I love chili, but I also love a good chicken enchilada in a cream sauce. So, this is a match made in heaven for me. Not to mention the fact, it's made in one pot, totally stove top and can be on the table in under an hour. A busy mom's dream!

Now I will tell you, this isn't quite as thick as a normal "red" chili tends to be. Or at least, it's not as thick as mine. It's more of a soup consistency, but if it has beans, meat, and a little heat, I think we can still refer to it as a chili; and it's my blog, so I am.

Step outside your chili comfort zone this fall and try something a little creamier and with an unique flavor profile all it's own! This could be what's for dinner tonight!

Creamy White Chili
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 ( 7 oz.) can chopped green chilies, slightly drained
2 (15 oz.) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 TBS canola oil
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cilantro, chopped for garnish

In a large pot or dutch oven, saute chicken and onion in oil over medium heat. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. When no longer pink, add broth, chilies, beans and oregano. Stir well to combine. Bring to a hard simmer. Reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and heavy cream until well combined. Garnish with cilantro before serving.






Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 17, 2014


Disclaimer: As a Field Editor of Taste of Home, I share my own thoughts and opinions of this recipe. I am not a paid employee.

No comments: