Everyday Mom's Meals: No Ham?
_____

Friday, October 10, 2014

No Ham?

Yep, that was my husband's response when he sat down to eat this. Why? Because to him, beans in soup should only be accompanied by ham. The end. Black and white. But for me, there is a vast grey area that says you can have a delicious bean soup that is just beans and veggies. In fact, it can be completely vegetarian, using no chicken stock either. It's possible and I'm happy to show you how today.

Now, if you tend to agree with Mr. E., don't click away quite yet. I'll tell you a secret. I love ham and beans. (Which I originally posted 10-10-10...on this exact day 4 years ago...kinda freaky, huh??!!) It's one of my favorite chilly weather dishes. So, I can understand why he thinks you can't have one without the other. I really do. (Don't tell him I said that though, okay? I will deny is all the way!) And I'm positive if you wanted to throw in a ham bone or diced leftover ham to this for extra flavor, it would only make it more delicious. But I was simply in the mood for beans sans pork, and since I'm the one cooking, that's what we ended up with.

I will also tell you that this still has two of the things I love about my original ham and beans. It's thick and creamy. Two aspects I feel adamant any good bean soup recipe must be. So for me, I didn't miss the meat. Not one bit. This was still comforting on a rainy, cool day. It still tasted like a warm hug with every bite. It was exactly what I was looking for.

If you think you can handle a bean soup with NO HAM...*gasp*, then you will love this. But like I said, if you decide to add some, the food police won't come find you. Either way, it's a delicious meal after a long day, that will fill you up and thaw you out!

Slow Cooker White Bean Soup From Budget Bytes
2 TBS olive oil
1 lb. dried navy beans, rinsed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
4 medium carrots, diced
4 celery hearts, chopped
1 dried bay leaf
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. paprika
6 c. water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat slow cooker to LOW. Drizzle olive oil in the bottom. Add onions, garlic, celery and carrots. Stir. Add beans, rosemary, bay leaf, paprika, water, salt and pepper. Stir well. Cook on LOW for 8 hours. Remove lid. Using a potato masher, mash up beans, until desired thickness occurs. Reduce heat to WARM until ready to serve. Adjust salt and pepper.





Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 10, 2014


3 comments:

kentuckylady717 said...

Yum this soup does look delicious....and probably a ham bone would make it a little better.....but you don't need meat every meal right ? But you can't make men believe that lol.....

I too, love one pot meals or a one pot dish.....just give us more of these recipes......

Thanks,

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious, but could you please define celery hearts? Thanks!

Krista said...

When you buy a package of celery, the stalks on the inner most part are called the "hearts" and are the most tender. Here in Indiana, you can actually find packages of those sold separately for a little bit more $ than regular celery. Hope this helps!