Everyday Mom's Meals: Eat It or Save It
_____

Monday, October 6, 2014

Eat It or Save It

I love potato salad. I can't get enough of the stuff. I have a hundred different recipes for it, each one delicious and mouth watering. But I make all of them mostly in the summer months. You know, picnic weather. Grilling and cookout season. But when the leaves begin to fall, and the days are cooler, my craving doesn't stop there.

 Normally I just say forget the season and I make one we enjoy during summer, and it tastes just as delicious. But this time around, I remembered a recipe a friend had given me, and I decided to put a little autumn into our tater salad. 

This makes a terrific side dish to any fall inspired meal. I served it with some ham and cheese sammies. (That recipe is coming later this week!) And it travels very well too, because it can be served warm, chilled or at room temperature. Since we ate at different times the night I made this, that theory was actually tested, and it was just as delicious two hours after it had been in the fridge and then sitting out. Mr. E. said so! 

But here's how my mind works. I'm sitting there eating this delicious combination of flavors, looked at the beautiful autumn colors, and thinking " This would make a great dish at Thanksgiving time as well." Maybe a new twist on your traditional Turkey Day sweet potato dish. It would taste terrific with turkey. Or a day after fix for those leftovers you might have. A couple extra sweet potatoes, the pecans from pies, the cranberries from dressing...they could all come together in something new to go with turkey sandwiches! 

Rather you eat this, or save it, this recipe is going to become a new favorite potato salad in your house too. A great addition to those foods you look forward to eating every fall! 

Autumn Sweet Potato Salad 
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
3 TBS finely diced white onion
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/4 c. dried cranberries
2 tsp. dried parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste

Dressing:
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS honey
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. In a baking dish combine sweet potatoes, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to coat. Roast in oven for 30-35 minutes until just fork tender. Do NOT over cook. Remove and allow to cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for dressing. Whisk well. In a large bowl combine potatoes, pecans, onion, and cranberries. Stir well. Pour dressing over and toss gently. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve slightly warm, chilled or room temperature...it's delicious any way!




Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 10, 2014


1 comment:

The Better Baker said...

WOWZERS! I'm impressed with this idea. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck.