Everyday Mom's Meals: I *Heart* My Kitchen Aid
_____

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I *Heart* My Kitchen Aid

As some of you may remember back before Christmas a lovely friend was so generous to give me her Kitchen Aid mixer when she upgraded to a new one. I was so incredibly excited b/c I've always wanted one, but it was nothing I could ever excuse buying for myself. Well, since then I've used it quite a few times for various things, but the thing I've found to do w/ it the most? Shredding meat! I'm not kidding! When I first saw the idea on Pinterest I was so intrigued I couldn't wait to try it. And when I did so w/ some chicken and it worked perfectly I was happy to report back to my readers that "It Worked, It Really Did!" Next up on my shredding agenda was either beef or pork. I wanted to make sure this wasn't just a fluke w/ poultry only. Little did I know that I would get my chance so quickly thanks to a Valentine's Day gift from my mom, "Simple 1-2-3 Slow Cooker Recipes." (Gotta love unexpected and useful treats from mom!) This little cookbook is full of great ideas for Crock-Pot meals and I want to try so many of them! But the one I chose to start w/ was purely so I could test this method w/ beef. I'll admit, I was skeptical of it working as well w/ beef as it did w/ chicken, simply b/c beef tends to be tougher and harder to shred, even by hand. But I'm happy to report once again, it worked, it really did!!! This is a great meal to have cook in the Crock-Pot all day while you're at work and be waiting on you when you get home. Add a simple side dish (tomorrow's recipe is a great suggestion!) and dinner is served. Plus, you can look forward to shredding it too! I know, it's the little things. But seriously, shredding meat is SO much fun now!

Spicy Italian Beef
1 boneless beef chuck roast 3-4 lbs.
1 (12oz) jar pepperoncini peppers
1 (14.5 oz) can beef broth
1 (12oz) bottle beer
1 onion, minced
2 TBS Italian seasoning
Provolone Cheese
Sub buns

Trim fast from beef if necessary. Cut into large chunks. Place in Crock-Pot. Drain peppers and pull of stems. Add peppers, broth, beer, onion and seasoning to Crock-Pot. Stir. Cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours. Remove meat from Crock-Pot and shred. (If using Kitchen Aid-- use with the paddle attachment) Return to cooking liquid to heat through. Place Provolone on bottom of buns. Using a slotted spoon, put warm meat on cheese allowing it to soften a little. Serve w/ extra peppers and sauce on the side, if desired.







Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Feb. 28, 2012
Shared on Chef in Training Feb. 28, 2012
Shared on Cooking with Karyn Feb. 28, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Feb. 29, 2012
Shared on This Chick Cooks Feb. 29, 2012
Shared on Newlyweds Blog Feb. 29, 2012
Shared on It's A Keeper Mar. 1, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Mar. 1, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Mar. 2, 2012

5 comments:

MamaMonki said...

I don't know how I survived without my kitchenaid until last year. (I got a used one on Craigslist) I can't wait to try the shredding meat trick. I'm also going to save your beef recipe. My hubby has a favorite restaurant in Flint, Michigan (his hometown) called Big John's - he dreams about their Italian beef sammies - I haven't been able to duplicate the recipe yet, but maybe yours will be the one.

Unknown said...

This looks delicious! I have a linky party going on @ my blog & would love to have you join in if you have the chance! Thanks!
http://cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com

carolinaheartstrings said...

I saw that same thing on Pinterest. Good to know it really works. Great looking recipe.

Miz Helen said...

I heart my Kitchen Aid too, don't know what I would do without it. Your Beef looks awesome! Hope you have a wonderful week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

carpet cleaning Fargo ND said...

This looks delicious, my wide will love it