Everyday Mom's Meals: That's What The Sun Looks Like
_____

Friday, June 6, 2014

That's What The Sun Looks Like

Finally. That's the only word to describe how I feel about today. See, it's the last day of school for us. HOORAY!!!! As of 3:30 pm, I will have a 4th grader in my house. And while that seems impossible, and in 2 months when classes begin again I will be in a total depressed denial about it, today it means SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!! 

With the awful, and when I say awful, I mean awful with a capital A, winter we had, I don't think I've ever been more happy to see summer. And honestly, our spring wasn't so great either. We had snow in April...need I say more? So when the temps finally began to rise, and that big ball of yellow in the sky reappeared, it took all of us a couple days to remember, "Ah, yes. That is what the sun looks like!!" 

During that first week of constantly sunny, warm weather I wanted to do many things, but grilling was at the top of the list. Sure, we grill year round, but I feel the need to more when we have beautiful weather and can go right from the grill to the backyard table, enjoying our dinner outside. 

Luckily I had gotten some beautiful drumsticks on sale that week and they were ready and willing to be put on the fire. I'm always looking for new marinades for chicken, and this one from Grilling and Campfire Cooking is simple and super flavorful. (In case you didn't know, I'm giving away a copy of this book from Gooseberry Patch. Click here to enter!) This is one of those dishes you can put in the fridge to marinate all day, and then grill off when you're home from work and don't want to think too much about supper. It's perfect for cookouts, picnics or tailgating too! 

I'm so incredibly happy summer is upon us. I'm thankful I get to be reacquainted with our good friend Mr. Sun and look forward to all the fun things the next couple months have in store!

Grilled Lemon Lime Chicken Adapted from Gooseberry Patch
10 chicken drumsticks, or your favorite cut
1 heaping TBS grill seasoning
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
3 TBS whole grain mustard
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 saved for later
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 TBS vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a medium bowl whisk together all ingredients except chicken. Add chicken and marinade to large plastic bag. Chill in fridge for 8 hours. Remove chicken 1 hour before ready to grill, allowing it to come up to room temp. Discard marinade. Preheat grill to medium high. Spray with nonstick spray. Sear chicken for 5 minutes and then reduce heat to medium and cook 15-20 minutes more until juices run clear. Remove to serving platter and squeeze remaining 1/2 lemon over top. 







Shared on The Country Cook June 6, 2014


1 comment:

The Better Baker said...

YYUUUUUMMM OH YUUUUUMMM! That looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing at Weekend Potluck. Hey - I saw your name in one of the new GBP cookbooks...I'm in it too. (The Foolproof one I believe...I got 3=)
What a kick huh? Have a great weekend.