Everyday Mom's Meals: Saturday Morning Cartoons and Breakfast
_____

Monday, June 2, 2014

Saturday Morning Cartoons and Breakfast

When my little man was a even smaller little man, Saturday mornings were for two things. Hanging out with Daddy and watching cartoons. Yep, they would let Mommy sleep in late, and fend for themselves for a few glorious hours every weekend. And Daddy's go-to breakfast for his favorite buddy was instant oatmeal; and for Alex it had to be maple and brown sugar.

I can't say I blame him, when I was growing up, it was the only flavor of oatmeal my mom could get me to eat too. There is just something about those flavors that scream comfort breakfast to me. To this day, if I eat oatmeal it is more than likely flavored with those two things.

As I've mentioned before, lately I am just a little obsessed with muffins. I'm not sure why the joy of making homemade muffins found me so late in life, but it has, and I find myself busting out the muffin tins more and more. Plus, now I have this nifty carrying case for them that is airtight and super convenient, so they last even longer. And when I get a new kitchen gadget I am inclined to use it as much as possible!

These little bites of goodness are perfect for breakfast, brunch or even a light dessert. Pack them in a school lunch (for those of you like us who are, yes indeed, wrapping up the school year...only 4 more days!!) or keep them on hand this summer for a great, quick, or even on-the-go snack for the little ones. They are just their size and they will love the flavor!

Now that he's older, Saturday mornings are for many different things, depending on our schedule, but every once in a while you can still catch my little man in front of the television, watching a favorite cartoon and enjoying a bowl of oatmeal; or now some of these instead!

                 Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal Mini Muffins Inspired by Crepes of Wrath
1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. old fashioned oats, plus extra for garnish
1 c. packed homemade brown sugar, see recipe below
1 egg
1 c. milk
1 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp. vanilla
2 TBS maple syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 TBS turbinado sugar

Homemade Brown Sugar
1 c. white sugar
1 1/2 TBS molasses

Combine sugar and molasses and stir well until completely combined.

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a mini muffin tin. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl (I used my stand mixer) beat together butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add egg and beat on low. Add milk, vanilla, and maple syrup. Beat on low until well combined. Add half of flour mixture. Beat on low. Scrape down sides. Add other half. Beat on low until mixed. Increase speed to medium, scrape sides again, and beat until well incorporated. Spoon mixture into muffin tin, filling each about 2/3 of the way. (I use a cookie scoop for this and it takes 1 scoop to fill each vessel.) Sprinkle each with turbinado sugar and a few extra oats. Bake 20-25 minutes until browned and toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan, on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool rest of way.


No comments: