Everyday Mom's Meals: Our Memorial Day, Your 4th of July
_____

Friday, June 20, 2014

Our Memorial Day, Your 4th of July

Back at the end of May, it was an absolutely GORGEOUS Memorial Day weekend here in the Fort. In fact, Adam and I both said we couldn't recall the last time we had a holiday weekend where every day was more beautiful than the last. So of course, we had to get out and enjoy every last second of it! I'm talking about a trip to a park and splash pad, a huge picnic supper and even a Tin Caps baseball game to celebrate the holiday.





When it was time for me to plan our picnic menu, I knew I wanted some classics, some favorites, and something new; and this was it!

Now, if you don't think you like ham salad, don't turn your nose up yet. I'm not talking about the kind from the deli counter. See, my husband used to work at a small town grocery store, as a butcher, and had to make batches upon batches of that kind. And while I know many people find it yummy, he knows exactly what goes into it, and refuses to eat it. So, if I was going to make it, it has to be real ham salad, with actual ham in it!

This makes great sandwiches or for more of a delicate offering (maybe for a bridal or baby shower) crackers too. Either way, it's easy to make, delicious, and tastes nothing like that other ham salad so many of us have had. 

If you're planning a picnic for our next big holiday, Independence Day (in case you haven't looked, it's only 2 weeks away!!) be sure to jot this one down as an idea. I love summer time holidays, almost as much as I love summer time picnics and food!

Ham Salad
16 oz. ham, either left over, or chopped into large chunks
3 ribs celery, diced
1/4 c. finely minced white onion
1/3 c. bread and butter relish
1/2 c. mayo
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

In food processor place ham and pulse into fine. Pour out into large bowl. Add celery, relish and onion. Mix well. In a small bowl whisk together mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. Add to ham mixture. Stir well. Chill at least an hour before serving. Serve on buns, bread or crackers.





Shared on The Country Cook June 20, 2014



No comments: