Everyday Mom's Meals: Yes, It Comes Without A Mix
_____

Monday, June 23, 2014

Yes, It Comes Without A Mix

We are huge wild rice fans. I serve it with many different meals, and it's always gobbled up by my husband and son faster than I can make it. And yes, I'm not ashamed to admit I use the boxed version with the seasoning packet every. single. time. Yeah, I know, it's probably loaded with MSG and sodium, but I figure if I can take a little help from the store, spend about $1 per box, and give my boys something they love, it's okay. Well, that all ended with this recipe. 

See, I learned you can buy the wild part of wild rice mix by itself. (For those of you who knew that already, and are snickering at me right now, I don't blame you.) I honestly didn't realize you could, until I went looking for it, and sure enough there it was next to all the other bags of bulk rice.  

If you love wild rice too, or rice pilaf, or even mushroom risotto, this is the perfect mix of all three! It's got the creaminess of risotto, with the crunch of the nuts you find in pilaf and the great texture of wild rice. It makes a great side dish to any meal, and would be great to entertain with! So flavorful, and so pretty on the plate, your guests would surely be impressed!

I have never shied away from the fact that I'm willing to take some help from the store now and again. In today's busy world I think we all need to, and I think those who say they never do...well, they have to be lying! Okay, maybe not. I'm sure there are those who never use a boxed mix or a can of soup, and that's great. My hat's off to them. But for this everyday mom, finding out I could make something we love, that normally comes from a box, a little more special and homemade, well, it was quite the treat!

Wild Rice Mushroom Bake From Taste of Home
1 c. uncooked wild rice
2 c. boiling water
1 lb. white button mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 TBS butter
3/4 c. uncooked long grain rice
1/2 c. sliced almonds, reserve a few for garnish
3 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
3 TBS shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Put wild rice in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let soak for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute' onions and mushrooms until tender and brown. Season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl combine wild rice, long grain rice, mushroom mix, broth and cream. Mix well. Pour into prepared casserole dish and cover. Bake for 1 hour. Remove and stir. Bake for 15 minutes more. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 10 additional minutes. (1 hour. 25 minutes total) Stir before serving. Garnish with extra almonds. 






Shared on The Country Cook June 27, 2014


Disclaimer: As a Field Editor of Taste of Home, I share my own thoughts and opinions of this recipe. I am not a paid employee.

No comments: