Everyday Mom's Meals: Slow Cooker Summer Series Day 1
_____

Monday, June 9, 2014

Slow Cooker Summer Series Day 1

Welcome to an exciting week here on EMM. For the next 5 days I will be sharing some fantastic recipes that utilize your slow cooker during these hot summer months. I'll be sharing brand new ones on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Then on Tuesday and Thursday, I've got some great round ups from some of my best foodie friends!

Now, I realize many of you, like me, think of using it more in the winter months for soups, stews, and comfort food to warm you up after a cold winter's day. But take my word for it, using your Crock Pot in the summer time can change your life! Don't heat up your house when it's already sweltering, don't turn on the oven when the thermometer is rising higher and higher. I've got some great ideas for traditional summer time recipes perfect for cook-outs and barbecues that can all be prepared in your slow cooker. 

First up, a recipe that's perfect for any weeknight supper when you've got a thousand fun summer things going on; or for your next family reunion, kid's birthday party or even lake weekend. Sloppy Joes are one of those things that you can't believe could get any easier, but yes they can! Match a big batch of this, and after it's cooked, leave it on warm for hours, letting everyone eat as they come. No need to even worry about it! 

I'm thrilled to be about to bring you some brand new Crock Pot recipes this week. I really think you're going to fall in love with them; and maybe I will even inspire you to slow cook a little more this summer. Believe me, your house thermostat will thank you!

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
2 lbs. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. ketchup
2 TBS mustard
3 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
3 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet brown beef with onion, seasoned with salt and pepper. Drain off excess fat. Add to slow cooker. In a medium bowl whisk together ketchup, mustard, garlic powder, Worcestershire, brown sugar, vinegar and chili powder. Mix until well combined. Add to ground beef mixture. Stir well to coat. Cook on LOW for 5-7 hours. Serve on hamburger buns with cheese, if desired.




Shared on The Country Cook June 13, 2014

6 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds yummy! Will definitely have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to this series as I am a HUGE crockpot fan!

Lita said...

I love sloppy joes and I love that this one can be cooked in the crock pot. I think the flavors need to cook longer than I give them on the stove top. Looking forward to this series.

Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

Anonymous said...

Can you just make half ? There is only 2 of us. Thanks

Krista said...

You sure can! I actually made only half and it worked perfectly. Just a little less time and watch for dryness. Add a little liquid if drying out :)

Kim Honeycutt said...

Saw this on The Country Cook....sounds great! Love anytime I can use the crock pot. Pinning it!!

Anonymous said...

This would be great to freeze in small containers too...quick sandwich later! 😍 love this recipe!