Everyday Mom's Meals: Slow Cooker Summer Series Day 3
_____

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Slow Cooker Summer Series Day 3

Every summer backyard barbecue, cook-out, family reunion, graduation party, bonfire at the lake, etc. has some tried and true staples. The top ones that come to my mind? Potato salad, coleslaw, grilled meat of some kind, and of course, baked beans! Now, I've shared with ya'll my favorite bean recipe on the face of the planet, my mom's, and I still say nobody makes them better; but this recipe definitely comes in 2nd, for both flavor and the use of my slow cooker!

If you've never tried making baked beans "from scratch", please jump in my boat, because neither had I. The can of Bush's is my friend, what can I say? But I'm telling you, trying it for the first time might have been intimidating had I not had my trusty Crock Pot doing most of the work for me! 

And for a big get together, what's better than knowing you don't have to think about making sure one of the side dishes is always full? Simple set up your slow cooker to make these, then turn it down to warm, and let your guests eat out of it all day long! 

The flavor of these lets your taste buds know they were slow cooked all day. Sweet, savory and rich they are just what you're looking for in a good summer time baked bean. Oh, and did I mention they have bacon in them too? 


Next time you've got a crowd coming over, or you are just firing up the grill on a Sunday for the family, be sure to remember this recipe. I promise you won't be sorry! 


Crock Pot Baked Beans
1 lb. dried navy beans
1/2 c. molasses
1/2 c. brown sugar
4 TBS Dijon mustard
3 c. hot water
1/8 tsp. dried cloves
10 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place beans in a large bowl. Cover with water. Soak overnight. Drain and rinse beans. In a medium bowl mix together water, molasses, mustard, brown sugar and cloves. Spray Crock Pot with nonstick spray. In the bottom, lay half the bacon. Cover with half the drained beans. Add onions. Top with rest of beans and then rest of bacon. Pour hot water mixture over top. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on HIGH for 2 hours. Reduce heat to LOW and cook 5-6 hours, checking water level a few times. If dry out, just add more. In the last hour of cooking, test the tenderness of beans. If not soft enough, cook on HIGH for the last hour.





Shared on The Country Cook June 13, 2014




No comments: