Everyday Mom's Meals: Getting Ready For The Garden
_____

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Getting Ready For The Garden

Do you plant a summer garden? If so, my hat is off to you. I have two brown thumbs and can't get anything to grow on my own. Thankfully, I married a man with a green thumb and he has passed that gene down to our son. So, come summer time, they are 100% in charge of our backyard garden.

Now I will be honest with you. Our garden doesn't always turn out the best yield. I don't know if there is something in our soil, or maybe the location we have it in our yard, but some years are definitely better than others. Last year was an almost complete bust, but that was because of a major drought and temps rising to almost 100 for weeks on end with no rain. But even during the years that we don't get as much bounty from it that we like, one thing always seems to grow well, and we end up with more of it than I can find uses for...zucchini

So I figured this year I would prepare myself and test a few new recipes using it before I found myself with a crisper drawer full of it and no idea what to cook. And I have to admit, I don't know why I don't think to cook with it more than I do. It's one of the best bargains in the produce section, can be prepared many different ways, and takes on amazing flavors of whatever it is paired with. 

This dish is a great way to get more veggies in the kids too. If they turn their noses up at anything that is green, add some garlic and cover it all in cheese. I bet they will be more willing to bend to your will. It's a simple side dish perfect for any meal that screams summertime to me. But to be honest, if you made enough of it and maybe added in a few other garden fresh veggies, it would be a great main dish too. 

Our summer garden harvest will be here before I know it, and I'm happy to have a few new recipes up my sleeve to enjoy when it comes. If you are too, be sure to jot this one down today!

Sauteed Zucchini with Garlic and Parmesan
3 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
2 tsp. olive oil
1 garlic clove, mined or grated
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 TBS shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add zucchini, red pepper flakes and garlic. Saute' for about 10 minutes until zucchini are golden brown on all sides, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan to serving dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. 






Shared on The Country Cook June 6, 2014

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I plant grape toms for the kids and some herbs, maybe some zuc's one year pumpkins. I freeze my herbs in oil for winter, grate the zuc so i can use it in muffins/breads and also pasta sauces. Freeze it in 2 cup portions as that is what my muffin recipe calls for.