Everyday Mom's Meals: No Straw Required
_____

Monday, May 19, 2014

No Straw Required

I am not a huge alcohol drinker. Sure, I enjoy the occasional drink now and then, but they really come few and far between. I don't enjoy wine like 99% of my friends, and there is only one or two beers I can stomach. I'm more of a "fruity drink with a an umbrella in it" kinda girl; and one of my favorites, the pina colada, was my inspiration behind this new dessert.

This was actually what I made when we celebrated Easter with my parents. With two families so close, it's great to be able to see everyone on holidays, but it also requires so logistics so we don't feel like we spend half the day in the car driving. So for the past couple years, it's been easier for us to see my parents on Good Friday and then my in-laws on Easter. It allows us to spend quality time with each side without having to leave in the middle of the fun.

My mom was taking care of the main course (her famous beef n noodles) and side dish (her also famous coleslaw) so I volunteered to make dessert. But before we were headed out there in the late afternoon, I had a busy day with my little man planned. He was home from school, we had eggs to dye and other fun things to do. Needless to say I didn't want to be in the kitchen for most of it.

Luckily, this cake almost makes itself. Almost. Seriously though, if you can stir and pour, you can do this. Plus, it is prepared in a couple separate steps, so while it cools, you can be doing other things too. It is so moist, so sweet and bursting with those pina colada flavors I love so much. It's perfect for warm weather too, because it's delicious while still being light.

If you're looking for a sweet treat for your Memorial Day cookout, keep this one in mind. Your guests can enjoy some libation flavors with no straw required!

Pina Colada Cake
1 box angel food cake mix*
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 (12 oz.) tub Cool Whip
1 1/4 cups sweetened coconut, divided


Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl combine cake mix and pineapple with juice. Mix well. Pour into an ungreased 9x13 baking pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack completely. When cool, sprinkle cake with 1/2 cup coconut. In a small skillet over low heat, toast other 3/4 cup coconut until browned on edges. Top cake with Cool Whip over coconut layer. Sprinkle top with toasted coconut. Chill until serving. Refrigerate leftovers. *NOTE* You will NOT add the other ingredients the cake mix calls for.






Shared on The Country Cook May 23, 2014

No comments: