Everyday Mom's Meals: Tuesday Treats
_____

Monday, May 12, 2014

Tuesday Treats

From the second week of March until April 23rd our daily schedule was turned on its ear. See, after missing a record amount of school due to snow, our school corporation decided that instead of adding all those days onto the end of the year, they would extend our school day by an hour, resulting in a 4:30 p.m. dismissal time.

If anyone doesn't think that extra time wasn't hard on everyone, let me assure you it definitely was. The teachers, staff and students were all exhausted by the end of the day. Parents had to rearrange schedules. Some kids weren't getting off the bus until 6 o'clock...let's just say while we all appreciate the fact we aren't going to have to be in school until July, we are also very happy it's over!

During those weeks, the school also decided the kids could bring in a healthy snack and bottle of water to eat around 3:30, the regular dismissal time. After all, most of them were used to going home and having a snack, so it was very kind of them to realize the students would need that to push through that last "power hour."

As a mom who is always at the school volunteering, I've come to know our school's amazing office staff, and they are a great group of people. So I decided they too needed a little treat mid-afternoon to keep them going until 4:30. Now, I couldn't do it every single day, but Tuesdays became the day I ventured up the street (yes we live about a block from our school) with something yummy in hand.

These were one of those Tuesday Treats, as they came to be called. I have to admit, I've been on a muffin kick lately. I can't get enough of them. I love having them around for snacks, quick breakfasts, or sweet treats when I don't have time to make dessert. We really enjoy the flavor of orange and cranberry together, so I knew these would be a hit with my boys. But I was equally happy to know the fantastic and deserving office staff enjoyed them too.

I'm so happy to have my little man home at 3:30 p.m. again! Plus we only have 19 days of school left! If you still have a little bit of time left in your school year, maybe you could do something nice for those who work so hard for your kids every single day too! Might I suggest these yummy and easy to make muffins??!!

Cranberry Orange Muffins

2 cups flour

3/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1 egg
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon zested orange rind

2 tsp. turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)


Preheat oven to 400. Spray a muffin tin, or use paper liners. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cranberries. Stir well. In a medium bowl whisk together orange juice, oil, egg and orange rind Pour into dry ingredients. Stir just until combined. Spoon into muffin tin, filling each about 3/4 of the way. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and firm. 



Shared on The Country Cook May 16, 2014

Muffins at Very Good Recipes

No comments: