Everyday Mom's Meals: Celebrate At Home
_____

Friday, May 2, 2014

Celebrate At Home

It's almost time to bust out your sombrero and start pouring the margaritas! That's right, Cinco de Mayo is only a few days away. Okay, I can't lie. May 5th is usually just another day to us, and I don't think we've ever celebrated. But I know many of you do, and I bet Mexican restaurants all over the country will be packed come Monday, but I say why not celebrate at home?

Honestly, Mondays are so painful around here the mere thought of having to coordinate a dinner out makes me even more exhausted that I already am every Monday. But we can still have some yummy Mexican flare at home, and with this simple recipe, with almost no effort whatsoever. Now that sounds more like my stamina level for the beginning of the week.

I have so many Mexican recipes in my arsenal and "regular" dinner rotation, but believe it or not this was the first time I made burritos at home. I'm not sure why since they are one of my favorites, but such is life. Now, if you can't find the burrito seasoning (mine was in the baking aisle within all the packet mixes for gravy, sloppy joe, etc.) taco seasoning will work just fine. In fact, it' what the original recipe called for. Plus, you can always add some ground beef too if that sounds good to you. For me, I enjoy a simple bean and cheese version, so I omitted it.

I was so shocked at how easy these were, but the flavor totally seems like they were much harder! They are absolutely delicious, and the perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at home with your family. Make it a super fun night for the kids! Put on some mariachi band music, blend up some virgin margaritas, whip up a quick batch of restaurant salsa and have a fun party without having to start the car!

Bean and Cheese Burritos Inspired by Goodeness Gracious
10 flour tortillas, soft taco size
2 (15 oz.) cans refried beans
1 c. medium salsa
1 (16 oz.) jar picante sauce
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 packet burrito seasoning
Sour Cream
Chopped Green Onions

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking pan. In a medium bowl combine both cans beans, salsa and seasoning packet. Stir well to combine. Spread mixture over each tortilla, leaving about 1/2 inch around edge; and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Roll away from you, fold in edges, roll to edge, fold in ends. Lay seam side down in pan. (10 fit perfectly in my pan.) Spoon picante sauce over middle of each row. Sprinkle with Mexcian cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and heated through. Garnish with sour cream and green onions, if desired.




Shared on The Country Cook May 2, 2014

1 comment:

Catherine said...

This is a fresh and healthy meal to enjoy. Blessings, Catherine