Friday, September 23, 2011

Shhh....Don't Tell

Do you have that one person on your Christmas list (yes, I'm thinking that far ahead) that is SO hard to shop for? Most of us do. For me, that person that stays on the "still need to get" list the longest---my Daddy! I love my father, but he has gotten to a point in his life that if he wants something, he buys it. Which I'm very happy for him, b/c he works hard and has for many many years, but it makes shopping for him a nightmare! I have the staples I get him every year, and those are great fun, but I do try to find something new to surprise him with. This year I found it on a chilly Thursday morning while prepping supper for my family. I've said before we are having more and more Mexican nights at home b/c of Alex's obsession w/ chips and salsa. This time I wanted to try my hand at a home made version of a restaurant style salsa, and The Pioneer Woman was going to help me. While searching her recipes one day I found her version, and an explanation why so many home made ones don't taste exactly like the ones we get out. According to Ree, (and I believe her, b/c she is a genius!) most restaurants use canned tomatoes, NOT fresh to make her salsa. What???? I know, I said the same thing. So I was anxious to put this theory to the test. As soon as the food processor had stopped, I knew it was close. I could just tell by looking at it. And the taste?? I was floored! It was PERFECT. I'm not ashamed to say I was "testing" it over and over at 9am! And the minute I knew it was the closest thing to the kind in the restaurants I'd ever had, I had a "light bulb moment". I would make another batch closer to December 25th and along w/ some chips have a perfect gift for my Daddy! He loves chips and salsa, and never gets it in the restaurants b/c of my mom's dietary needs. So what a treat this will be! I'm so excited just thinking of his smiling face on Christmas morning. It's the kind of gift that I am going to get as much joy giving it as he will getting it b/c I love finding that one gift for each person on my list that is made just for him/her :) Halloween may be the next holiday on the calendar, but I'm a planner and I'm glad to have one more gift "checked" from my list. Now I just have to figure out what else to get him......

Restaurant Style Salsa Adapted from The Pioneer Woman. To see her recipe click here
1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, with juice
2 (10 oz) cans Rotel, I use 1 mild and 1 original for a mild-medium heat
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 medium white onion
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. fresh cilantro
1/2 lemon juiced

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. (If you have a small one, do batches b/c this is a large amount). Turn on and mix to desired consistency. If not sure, pulse several times and check between each. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Test again w/ a tortilla chip and adjust seasoning if needed.


Shared on Jane Deere Sept. 23, 2011
Shared on Mangoes & Chutney Sept. 23, 2011
Shared on Six Sisters' Stuff Sept. 25, 2011
Shared on Saturday Evening Pot Sept. 26, 2011
Shared on Home Savvy Sept. 26, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Sept. 26, 2011
Shared on Beyer Beware Sept. 26, 2011
Shared on Chef in Training Sept. 27, 2011
Shared on Naptime Creations Sept. 27, 2011
Shared on Celebrating Family Sept. 27, 2011
Shared on Sweetology Sept. 27, 2011
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 27, 2011
Pin It

3 comments:

Lisa Hitzeman said...

That sounds delicious...and so easy! Most of the ingredients are things you'd already have on hand. I'll have to give it a try the next time I want salsa.

Lisa's Dinnertime Dish

April said...

I love Pioneer Woman's recipes, my salsa recipe is adapted from her's. It's the only one my family will let me make now.

Jaymie said...

Just popped in from Melt in Your Mouth Monday's. This looks delish! Can't wait to try it.

Jaymie @ http://dancesdishesanddreams.blogspot.com