Everyday Mom's Meals: Thanks, Mom
_____

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanks, Mom

I have told you before that there are certain things my mom makes better than anyone else (in my opinion of course) and while I've conquered some of them, others I still refuse to make. Not b/c I don't I think, but b/c I know they will never taste as good as hers, so what's the point??!! That's right mom, I'll still be coming home for your Beef and Noodles and Salmon Patties! The next "mom only" food I was ready to check off my list was her coleslaw. It is the same recipes her mom makes, and they both have been making it for years, and not once had I even tried! But it was time and luckily I wanted to have it on a night I was actually going to be at her house during the day, so she could guide me! Okay, I can't lie, she did more than guide, but I figured if she actually had a hand in making it, it would have the "love" taste hers always does. This is by far the simplest coleslaw recipe I've ever made, and is our family's absolutely favorite. Adam was so surprised when he sat down to supper and it was there ready for the eating. And I was right, having mom help me made it taste even better! So if there is something your mama makes you love, try your hand at it....w/ her help of course :)

Mom's Coleslaw
1 small head cabbage, shredded
3/4 c. Miracle Whip (Mom has NEVER used mayo)
1 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 TBS dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika, for garnish

Place cabbage in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine all other ingredients until smooth. Mix well. Pour over cabbage and combine until dressing is incorporated well. Sprinkle w/ paprika. Chill until serving.


Cabbage at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is very similar to my aunt's coleslaw (which was my grandmother's before that). It really is the best!

Colleen said...

This is the same recipe we use except for the parsley. Yummy!