Everyday Mom's Meals: Old Family Favorite
_____

Monday, March 11, 2013

Old Family Favorite

I have shared my extreme love for casseroles many times. But what makes that love grow even more is when a casserole takes a dish that I already love but makes it easier and quicker because it's in one dish. A good example of this is my Unstuffed Pepper Casserole...stuffed peppers aren't difficult, but sometimes they can be a little time consuming for a weeknight, so putting the ingredients together in a casserole form gives you the flavors you love with the ease you need. And today's recipe is another perfect example of this same idea. 

I've been making this since Alex was just a baby, which is essential to why I started making it in the first place. I was a stay at home mom with an infant, and some days I was lucky to get a shower, let alone slaving away in the kitchen all day. So when I got it in my head I wanted to try my hand at Cabbage Rolls, I began researching the Internet and my pile of food magazines looking for a good recipe. Well, what I discovered was they are another recipe that can sometimes need a little extra time; and to be honest, I just didn't have it to give, so the idea got tabled. But then not too long later, I found this! The description even said "Do you love cabbage rolls, but don't have time? Then this casserole is perfect for you!" It was like someone read my mind! This quickly became a "go-to" meal for me that my boys love. It's something I can make after a long day and feel good about giving my family to fill them up and satisfy them. Plus, it makes great leftovers for lunch the next day too!

If you love cabbage rolls, or have been wanting to try them, but simply don't have the time (Or let's face it, the energy) take my lead and try this instead! You won't be disappointed!


Cabbage Roll Casserole 
1 lb. ground beef
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried sage
1/4 tsp. dill weed
1 c. cooked brown rice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9x13 pan. Sauté beef, onion and garlic over medium heat. Drain fat if necessary. Stir in 1/2 tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in rice and heat through. Remove from heat.

Layer 1/3 of cabbage pan. Top w/ 1/2 meat mixture. Repeat layers. Top w/ rest of cabbage and tomato sauce. Cover w/ foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and top w/ cheese. Bake 10 more minutes.
 

 


Adapted from Taste of Home

3 comments:

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Following your blog from "The Better Baker". =)

Your recipes sound great! =)

Three Birds Inspired said...

I have been making something very similar for about a decade. My reasoning for making it wasn not because I was busy with a baby. I started making my cabbage rolls in casserole form because I was just too lazy to do it the old fashioned way parboiling the cabbage and rolling the leaves! Your recipe looks delicious and I am going to try it this week!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
I love this casserole and can't wait to try it. Have a great St. Patrick's Day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen