Everyday Mom's Meals: I'm A Sloppy Girl
_____

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'm A Sloppy Girl

Okay, here is my confession. I love Sloppy Joes...every kind...all kinds...any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Okay, so maybe that last one is a bit of a stretch, but seriously, they are absolutely 100% one of my go-to meals. I think it's because they were one of mom's also. They remind me of my child hood. They are fun to eat, easy to make, and super satisfying. I've done them all kinds of ways, each one just a little different, but I'm always on the lookout for new ones to try. So when I came across this one day while strolling through the blogisphere...I knew it would be showing up on our dinner table very soon.

I already do an Italian spin on the "Joe" with my Pizza Joes, hands down one of Alex's favorites of all time. So when I first read that word-Italian- I almost dismissed it. Only because it was kind of a "been there, done that" mindset. But oh how happy am I that I kept reading! First off, my original version is done stove top, and that's perfectly fine. But these...these included 2 of my favorite words...Crock Pot. Oh, how my heart skips a beat reading those. Easy, cooked all day, deep flavored things come out of the slow cooker, and I'm always game! Not to mention, these used sausage instead of ground beef, and that was going to be a nice change. Something just a little different!

I guarantee your kids will love these. I mean...pizza on a bun...with melted cheese...what kid is going to turn that down? Heck, what adult is going to? And if you are a "pot-lucker" these would be a huge hit with any crowd! What can I say? I'm a sloppy kind of girl, and if you are to flip over this new version.

Crock Pot Italian Sloppy Joes From Skinny Taste
1 lb. ground Italian sausage
1/2 c. chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 1/3 c. canned crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
Buns
Sliced Provolone Cheese

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage, onions and garlic until no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Transfer to Crock Pot. Add peppers, tomatoes and seasonings. Cook on LOW for 4 hours. To serve, scoop onto bottom buns and add sliced cheese, allowing to sit for a few minutes to melt. 


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Mar. 13, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Mar. 14, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Mar. 15, 2013
Italian at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hi this sausage recipe for sloppy joes says to brown hamburger if i wanted to use hamburger instead of the sausage would i use the same amount?

Krista said...

Hi! Thanks for pointing that out. That's what happens when I blog when I'm sleep deprived. LOL Yes, if you wanted to substitute ground beef, use the same amount. But I would also add a little extra Italian seasoning since the sausage has some in it too :)

NOVA Frugal Family said...

I made sloppy joes last night and my husband and I ate two sandwiches with tater tots. We waited for 15 minutes and then split another one so that we wouldn't be sick from over eating. I was going back to an old recipe which was salsa sloppy joes!! If you haven't made them, they are wonderful!!! I am going to have to try these ones :)

http://novafrugalfamily.blogspot.com/2012/09/salsa-sloppy-joes.html

Andi said...

I can't believe I am looking at yet another sloppy joe recipe. I have made 6 different recipe's recently and we decided on his and her's. Your's sounds wicked good also I have printed it and will try soon. The sound of the sausage sounds delish. and the cheese.. I have been on the search for the best Shepard's pie and finally posted that on my blog. So my next recipe is in search of the best meatloaf for me. Thanks, Andi thewednesdaybaker

Felecia Cofield said...

Hi Krista! These sloppy Joe's look and sound delicious! I can always count on you to have a good recipe! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

Miz Helen said...

This sounds really delicious. Have a great St. Patrick's Day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen