Everyday Mom's Meals: Mr. Everyday's Suggestion
_____

Friday, March 8, 2013

Mr. Everyday's Suggestion

Most of the time my husband's contribution to what we are eating is sitting down, clearing his plate and saying "Mmm...that was really good." It's not that he isn't allowed input, or doesn't want to give any, he just knows the kitchen is pretty much my domain and he trusts in the fact that if I'm stirring, chopping and sauteing, it's going to be something yummy. But every once in a while, he will see something that peaks his interest and then I get a random email through the day "Saw this and thought it looked good." And that's exactly how this recipe came to me last week.

He happened to see them online and then brought the recipe home to me. The minute I saw it, apples when on my grocery list for the next day. It's a pretty genius idea...I wish I had thought of it! They reminded me of my grandma's Apple Dumplings a little, and I knew we would love them! What's not to love with something that is as easy as it is delicious and pretty? I think they would be a great dessert for guests. Imagine their joy when you serve them an individual apple pie...inside of an apple!

I find recipes in all sorts of places: cookbooks, blogs, television, word of mouth...and sometimes even emails from my husband! But as long as they are yummy I don't care where they come from!

Apple Pie Baked Apples  
5 Granny Smith Apples, make sure 4 can stand on their own
1/4 c. white sugar, plus a little extra for top
1 TBS brown sugar
1 TBS cinnamon, plus a little extra for top
1 refrigerated pie crust, cut into 1/4" strips

Preheat oven to 375. Cut tops off of 4 apples and discard. The 5th apple, peel, core and chop very thin. Set aside. Using a melon scoop, hollow out 4 apples and add to other chopped apple. Be careful not to puncture outside, leaving about 1/2" interior. Add sugars and cinnamon to chopped apple. Mix well. Spoon apple mixture into 4 apples. Top each with a lattice pattern of 5 strips of dough. Press gently to adhere. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Place in a 8x8 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes until golden brown.
*NOTE* Sometimes an additional (6th) apple is needed to be chopped to obtain enough filling. I had more than enough with 5. Also, a couple of mine "oozed" a little during baking causing the apples to split on the side. No problem...they are still delicious!



Shared on The Country Cook Mar. 8, 2013
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Mar. 11, 2013
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Mar. 13, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Mar. 14, 2013



1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
Your Apple Dumplings look so good, I wish I had one. Have a great St. Patrick's Day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen