Everyday Mom's Meals: Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Kristin}
_____

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Kristin}

Good Morning! I'm so excited for today's guest! She is a fellow mommy, blogger and just a terrific person. It's funny because Kristin and I just met last June but we've probably known each other's names for at least 10 years! Let me explain. She is a very close friend to my brother in law, and it was his birthday party we actually finally got introduced at, but I had heard such lovely things about her for such a long time I felt like I already knew her. How did it take that long for us to meet? I'm honestly not quite sure! But I was so happy to finally do so, and within 5 minutes I knew I had found a kindred spirit. You know what I'm talking about? When you meet a person and you feel like you've known them your whole life and you instantly feel a deep connection. That's exactly how I felt sitting there talking to her for the first time; and since we've become fast friends. I am so blessed she came into my life, and I treasure our friendship so much. So please, for the first time, welcome Kristin to EMM~


Kristin Folkerts: Part time case manager, 24 hr stay at home mom, and all time crazy person!

I have a Master’s degree in Applied Gerontology.  I have worked with older adults and people with disabilities since 2001 officially but been a caregiver for older adults since I was 9 years old.

I met my husband in college but we did not find each other until 2004. We have our miracle son Coen born in 2011 and recently found out we have our second miracle on the way!  Motherhood is the hardest, most amazing, craziest thing I have ever done. I never feel like my head is on straight but I am so in love that the loss of control in my life is actually okay with this control freak!

I am a craft-a-holic! I prefer to make stuff myself. I started a jewelry making business in 2010, Musing Tree Creations, https://www.facebook.com/MusingTreeCreations. It is so much fun and an endeavor I share with my mom!

I have recently started a blog called Nuts of the Round Table.  http://nutsoftheroundtable.blogspot.com/  As most families contain some "nuts" and I find that things are always happening around the table - here I am with stories, crafts, recipes, care giving advice, and more.

I like to think I am a bit of a foodie and I love to read cookbooks like they’re one of those Twilight books!  I am generally not one to eat a lot of meat as I find a lot of the treatment of animals to be incredibly cruel and immoral.  I try to feed my family fun and delicious meals where you don’t even miss the meat.  The funny thing is now that I am pregnant all I want is beef!  Go figure!  But I wanted to go along with my good friend Krista’s theme of crock-pot goodness so today is a meatless delight in the crock-pot that my family loves.

Refried Bean Soup
1 (16 oz.) can vegetarian spicy refried beans
1 (15 1/4 oz.) can whole kernel corn (frozen works well too)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken or vegetable broth
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos (or green chilies if you like it less spicy)
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. salsa (I prefer fresh that you find in the deli area of grocery store)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Shredded Cheddar, to serve
Tortilla Chips, to serve
Sour Cream, to serve

Directions:
Combine everything in Crock Pot. Cook on low 3-4 hours, stirring half way through if you are able. If you need a little more kick, add 1 tsp of chili powder, Serve with cheese, chips and sour cream. 





Pin It

No comments: