Everyday Mom's Meals: Party Time
_____

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Party Time

It's only 5 days until the BIG day!! That's right, you better have your cookies baked, presents wrapped, and menu planned! Christmas is almost here!!! Can you tell I'm excited?? I told you before, I revert back to a child this time of year. However, if you are till trying to find the last few items for your Christmas table, or maybe are ahead of the game, and are looking for New Year's Eve party ideas, I've got a great one for you! If you loved the Dill Pickle Dip I shared earlier this month, you too will be excited about this one. These are one of our favorite treats when we go to our favorite steakhouse, and I decided it was time I did a version at home. They use the same batter as my Fried Green Tomatoes and Onion Rings, and I served them w/ the Blue Cheese Dip I make w/ boneless wings. (Follow the links, or see below). Plus, if you already have pickles on hand to make the Dill Pickle Dip, why not fry up the extras? I love party recipes that allow for "double duty" out of ingredients, and saving money wherever I can! If you have a holiday party coming up, and you're in a "pickle" for ideas, maybe this is for you!

Beer Battered Fried Pickles
1 jar whole dill pickles, sliced 1/4 " thick (Depending on the size, I figure 1/2-1 a pickle per person)
Vegetable Oil for frying
Kosher Salt

Batter:
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 c. flat beer (I used it right from the bottle and it worked fine)

In a large bowl, combine all and whisk well. Slice pickles and pat dry VERY well. Dip pickles in batter and let excess drip off. In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375. Place pickles in hot oil, carefully not to over crowd. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season w/ salt. I do these in batches and cover w/ foil to keep warm. Serve w/ blue cheese dip.

Blue Cheese Dip
3 oz. crumbled blue cheese
3/4 c. mayo
6 TBS sour cream
1 1/2 TBS cider vinegar
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder

Combine all and chill well. 
~Join me for Tasty Tuesday on Formula Mom~

Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Dec. 20, 2011
Shared on Chef in Training Dec. 20, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch May 9, 2012
Appetizers at Very Good Recipes

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh yum!!! I wish I had these right now for breakfast!!!

carolinaheartstrings said...

Oh I love these. Had them at the fair. Yours look just delicious. We have a pimento cheese quiche appetizer this week. Delcious. Come visit. Merry Christmas!