Everyday Mom's Meals: Christmas Crowd
_____

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Crowd

When I think of entertaining during the holidays, the appetizer sections of all of my cook books get put to very good use. To me setting out a buffet of a lot of different little bites is the way to go, and I think enjoyed by most people, and is definitely one of my favorite ways to both feed, and eat! But I realize there are times during the holiday season when this idea isn't practical. If you have family coming to stay for a few days, or even a week like we used to when I was younger, chips & dip isn't going to cut it for days on end! So I have a dish for you that 1. Could feed a crowd 2. Is a great way to stretch a buck and 3. Tastes amazing! I've been making this for my family for years, and I have to say it's probably one of my favorite meals of all time. If you want to entertain w/ more expensive ingredients such as chicken breasts, cream and fresh herbs this is a great way to do it, b/c it doesn't take a lot. The staples of this meal are cheaper items such as egg noodles and button mushrooms! Everyone can use a few extra pennies in their wallet during the Christmas season; but to be able to do it while still offering up a beautiful and satisfying meal to your loved ones and friends. I hope every holiday party you host or attend this year is filled w/ laughter, joy and great food!

Chicken and Mushrooms with Buttered Chive Egg Noodles
3 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces (I've used chicken tenders and boneless thighs too)
1 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. heavy cream
4 TBS olive oil, divided
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 TBS butter, divided
1 TBS flour
20 chives, chopped
4 tsp dried parsley, plus extra for garnish
1 lb. egg noodles

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 TBS olive oil, seasoned w/ salt and pepper. Saute until brown and cooked through. Remove from skillet, and wipe out. Over medium heat, saute mushrooms in 2 TBS olive oil until brown. Once brown, season w/ salt and pepper. Add 1 TBS butter. When melted, sprinkle w/ flour. Cook 1 minute. Whisk in chicken broth and cream. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook on low until slightly thick. (Do not expect this to get very thick. It should just coat the back of a spoon) Add chicken to cream sauce, and keep warm. When water is boiling, cook egg noodles and drain. Return to hot pot, add 2 TBS butter, chive and parsley. Stir well. Serve on a large platter w/ chicken & mushroom sauce over top. Garnish w/ extra parsley.


Chicken at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

4 comments:

Teri said...

Perfect for leftover chicken breast! Thanks for sharing... T

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Delicious, easy fast and great to have in the fridge for a whatever whenever. Keep the chicken and sauce separate so all you need are fresh noodles and you are in business!

And dare I say great use for one of my beloved rotisserie chickens.

Blessings of the season, family friends and a warm inviting kitchen from your friends at eRecipeCards and...

Dave

Mr. Everyday said...

I have to say it is pretty awesome. I enjoy this one whenever its served up

Krista said...

Dave, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from our family to yours too!