Everyday Mom's Meals: Taste of Home Breakfast
_____

Monday, December 19, 2011

Taste of Home Breakfast

Back in October I was lucky enough to be a Top 10 Finalist in my local newspaper's Readers' Recipes Cooking Contest. Each of the finalist received 2 tickets to the Taste of Home Cooking Show, where there was food & drink tastings, cooking demonstrations and the winners of the contest were announced. While I didn't win the contest, I was still so excited for reaching the Top 10, in my first time entering; plus I was able to attend a really great cooking event for free :) The show itself was fantastic. Each person got a "goody" bag upon entering and inside was products, coupons and not 1 but 2 cooking magazines! The demonstrator was a lady chef who was not only talented, but absolutely hilarious! She showed the audience how to make 3 or 4 dishes out of one of the magazines, live, w/ step by step instructions. It was so nice to see the dishes come together before our eyes, and get little tips and tricks from an insider of Taste of Home! The first dish she showed us how to make was Breakfast Pizza. Now while we were waiting for the show to begin, I was thumbing through the magazines and came upon this recipe; and right away I knew I wanted to try it, but also knew there was one big change I would make. Wouldn't you know it the first thing out of her mouth as she started to cook, was the exact same thing I had been thinking! Instead of making this on an actual pizza pan, I had decided I would do it in a pie plate for more of a deep dish effect; and that was exactly what she chose to do too! (Does this mean I have a future as a TOH Cooking Show expert??!!) This makes a great weekend breakfast, brunch or quick and easy supper. I will share the original recipe from TOH w/ my changes noted in ( ) .I think this would make a great breakfast Christmas morning, something simple as you are unwrapping everything Santa left under your tree. I have a few other goodies to share w/ you from the show, so be on the lookout to see what else I learned to make :)

Breakfast Pizza from Taste of Home
1 4oz tube crescent rolls (I used the 8oz size)
1/4 lb. bulk pork sausage or 4 pork sausage links sliced (I used 5 frozen brown and serve links, fully cooked and thawed)
1/2 c. frozen shredded potatoes, thawed (I used frozen diced potatoes)
2 TBS red pepper, diced ( I omitted this and added 1/2 a small can of mushrooms)
2 TBS green pepper, diced
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I used 1 1/2 c. b/c that's what the chef used during the demo)
2 eggs
2 TBS milk
1/8 tsp pepper (I used s/p to taste)
1 TBS shredded Parmesan cheese (I omitted these due to the extra cheddar)

Separate crescent rolls into 4 triangles. Arrange on an ungreased 7.5 inch round pizza pan w/ points toward the center. Press onto the bottom of pan, building up edges slightly; seal perforations. (I placed the dough in the bottom of a pie plate and pressed down and up the sides to seal and form crust) In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle over crust. Top w/ potatoes, peppers and cheese. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk and pepper. Pour over pizza; sprinkle w/ Parmesan cheese. bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until eggs are completely set and top is golden brown.

*NOTE* Make sure any frozen product (potatoes, sausage, peppers) is completely thawed and dried off. If not, it will add moisture to your pie and it will NOT set.


Breakfast at Very Good Recipes
  Pin It

No comments: