Everyday Mom's Meals: Duplex Memories
_____

Friday, December 9, 2011

Duplex Memories

Isn't it funny how our minds relate certain things? In our memories, one thing is relative to another, and sometimes we aren't even sure why. When I was little, until the age of 5, we lived in a duplex and I have so many happy memories of growing up there, even if it was for a short time compared to the house I ultimately grew up in. When I was little, my mom used to make this dish all the time. And while I am positive she made it after we moved into our house, I only remember eating it in the duplex. Why? I have no idea. But if I close my eyes, I can still see mom standing in that kitchen whipping this up just in time for dad to get home from work and then us sitting down at the dining room table to eat it. I love how food can bring back those memories. It's like a time machine, and a scrapbook from our lives. This makes a great weeknight meal that can be on the table in no time, and I think it's one the kids will love. Thanks mom, for giving me not only a recipe to share w/ my family, but one that lets me remember happy times and childhood favorites.

Hamburger Pie
1 lb. ground beef
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 small onion, chopped
1 8oz can crescent rolls
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet, brown beef and onion until no longer pink. Add in tomato sauce and season w/ salt and pepper. Cook on low about 10 minutes to let flavors combine. In a pie plate, place separated crescent roll triangles, pressing seams together to form a crust. Add beef mixture into pie shell. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until crust is brown. Remove and top w/ 5-6 slices of Velveeta (enough to fit) and bake 5-7 more minutes until cheese is melted. Let stand about 5 minutes before slicing.


Shared on The Country Cook Dec. 9, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Dec. 12, 2011
Shared on Home Savvy Dec. 12, 2011
Ground Beef at Very Good Recipes
Pin It 

1 comment:

carolinaheartstrings said...

Wow does that look fantastic. I know my family would love it. Come visit us. We have some great recipes this week. A delicious cream cheese ranch appetizer