Everyday Mom's Meals: Holiday Salad
_____

Friday, December 16, 2011

Holiday Salad

Right before Thanksgiving, my good friend The Bread Fairy posted her recipe for pistachio salad. The minute I saw it I remembered I love the stuff! It had been forever since I had it, but I knew my recipe was somewhere, deep inside my recipe box. Well, I found it, and it made a great addition to our Thanksgiving table. My recipe was indeed very similar to hers (I think it's one of those dishes that has been made for so many years, we all have one that is very close) I think it's perfect for the upcoming holidays, so pretty and green on a Christmas party table. It's also so versatile--add different fruit, nuts, whatever your heart's desire. I'm so grateful for being reminded how much I love this; it will definitely be kept at the front of my recipe box from now on!

Pistachio Salad
1 small box pistachio pudding mix (do NOT prepare)
1 small tub Cool Whip, thawed
20 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained except for a tad of liquid
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. mini marshmallows

In a large bowl, combine pudding mix and pineapple. Fold in Cool Whip. Mix in nuts and marshmallows combining well. Chill overnight to set. Garnish w/ a few marshmallows and walnuts. (If entertaining I like to put nuts on top so those w/ allergies know for sure they are inside)

*NOTE* If you want a deeper green color, just add a few drops of food coloring. Personally, I like the lighter shade.



Shared on The Country Cook Dec. 16, 2011

3 comments:

Steve from the black peppercorn said...

Here is the classic slad that some people say should be a dessert. The thing is, that for me, I would eat it as a salad or dessert - heck I would eat it for breakfast! I love this salad.

Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

L-O-V-E this salad. Thanks for posting it!

Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) said...

This is one of my holiday favorites but we call it Watergate Salad. I have no idea why. LOL

Thanks for linking up with Foodie Friday!