Everyday Mom's Meals: Cocktail Time
_____

Monday, March 7, 2011

Cocktail Time

Sorry, there isn't alcohol involved here :( What I'm talking about is shrimp cocktail--one of the classic appetizers! And one of my favorites, and I'm pretty certain I'm not alone in that feeling. The shrimp rings you can buy in the store are nice, and convienent, but if I'm serving it for a party I prefer to buy a bag of frozen shrimp, serve it on ice, and make my own cocktail sauce. One, the shrimp are usually larger, and two, the cocktail sauce that comes w/ those rings doesn't have quite the bite I enjoy w/ mine, and the texture is a little too smooth for me. I like to see the horseradish in mine. So, for the shower, we did just that. My mother in law bought the frozen shrimp in a bag, the ingredients for the cocktail sauce and I made it about 2 hours before the party and by the time we ate, it was perfect!

Cocktail Sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
2 TBS horseradish, heaping
1/4 tsp. lemon juice

Mix all and chill for at least 2 hours.

*For the shower I made 4x this amount and it served around 25 people.

No comments: