Everyday Mom's Meals: A Penzey's Treat
_____

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Penzey's Treat

Have you ever heard of Penzey's Spices? To be completely honest I never had until a few years ago when my dear friend was raving about them to me. She swears by all of those herbs, spices, spice mixes...all of their products. While I was very intrigued, I was never able to try them for myself, until now! Why? Because she is such a sweetheart she treated me to a few of their things for Christmas! It was the perfect gift for a foodie, and I was so excited to start experimenting. The first one I wanted to try was the Shallot Pepper Seasoning. A pepper based seasoning with the flavors of shallots and tarragon, it was listed as being great on fish among other things. So it got me thinking about what I could do with fish seasoned with it. I've been wanting to try my hand at fish tacos for a while now, and this was the perfect opportunity. If you are a lime lover, you will love these too because it's in the fish and the sauce! These are light, yet bursting with flavor and the crunch of the cabbage marries so well with the fish. They remind me of something I would eat in New Smyrna Beach, FL every summer when we vacation, but I can enjoy them in my warm kitchen watching the snow flakes fall in the middle of an Indian winter! Thank you my dear friend for treating me to such a wonderful, thoughtful, and absolutely delicious gift!


Fish Tacos with Lime Caper Sauce
1 lb. cod fillets
Olive Oil
1 tsp. lime zest
1 tsp. Shallot Pepper Seasoning
Salt to taste
1/2 c. Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 c. mayo
1 TBS capers, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1 lime, juiced
1 (12 oz) package coleslaw mix
Flour Tortillas


In a medium bowl combine fish, olive oil, lime zest and Shallot Pepper seasoning. Allow to marinade at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl combine yogurt, mayo, capers, oregano, dill weed and lime juice. Stir well. Chill until ready to use. In a large skillet cook fish, about 4 minutes per side until meat flakes with a fork. Remove and chop into bite sized pieces. Place about 1/4 c. fish into each tortilla. Top with cabbage mix and caper sauce.




Pin It



Disclaimer: This is NOT a paid post, and not endorsed by Penzey's at all. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love, love, love Penzey's!! I like the Fox Hollow blend: salt, garlic, shallots and chives...great on potatoes. Yesterday, we used the Mitchell Street Steak seasoning blend on our prime rib. You can check it out, if you would like, on www.bakedlava.com