Everyday Mom's Meals: Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Kathy}
_____

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Kathy}

Good Saturday morning! I hope you had a great week, and have some fun plans for the weekend. Do you have your tree up yet? Maybe some holiday baking with the kiddies this weekend? However you are spending it, thanks for taking a minute to drop by EMM and see who I am sharing the kitchen with today.

My guest today is a fellow blogger and mama! She is sharing a great DIY gift in a jar that anyone, even men would love! Aren't the guys the hardest to shop for? Well, if you have foodies in your life, be sure to save this one! Please welcome Kathy to EMM for the first time...


Hi! I'm Kathy from Sparkles And A Stove! First, I want to say a huge Texas thank you to Everyday Mom for letting me share this post with you. I am not only a fellow blogger and foodie of hers, but a big fan too! She was one of the first to welcome me to the blog community so EMM has a special place in my heart. I love that her meals are real food for real moms and families. Practical!

 
Speaking of practical, gifts in a jar are practical, but they can also be fun to make, frugal, and fun to receive. But have you ever noticed the gifts in a jar are usually on the cutesy side and not really something for guys? Well, one thing that IS for most guys is steak. So why not combine the two? Gifts in a jar AND steaks! Done and done. Steak dry rub in jar!
 
I made three of these to give to The Quiet Man's (my hubby after the old movie because he's from Ireland...and well, quiet) coworkers and my brother in law who is a bit of a grill hound. They are so easy and inexpensive to do. I made 3 and still had plenty of my spices left over. If you have several to make, you can buy the spices in the bulk section of the grocery store.
 
To make these steak dry rub's in a jar you will need:
3 small jars I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $1.25
Raffia to tie the jars
Avery Labels 5160 (or the 3M equivalent)


To make Santa's Dry Rub recipe you will need per jar:
2 tsp Chipotle powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 garlic salt
Place all ingredients in jar(s). Reseal and shake to blend ingredients. Tie with raffia.


To make the labels I went to Avery.com and entered in product number 5160. They are smaller address labels for the smaller jar but if you double or triple the recipe for a bigger jar you can go with a bigger label. I selected the Santa address label but there are lots of choices and styles. I then downloaded the template into Word and chose the two fonts I wanted for the front label, centered the label and copied it 2 more times. The labels come in a sheet of 30 so if you have less than 15 jars to make (2 labels per jar) you can add your address for mailing labels. I then entered the ingredients in a smaller font for the back label of the jar.


Place your labels on the front and back of your jars and you can also have a head start on your holiday labels with the extras! I was so excited about the way they turned out! Even The Quiet man said they're "pretty cool".


And not only is it something the guys will like and they're frugal and easy to make, the kicky chipotle steak rub actually tastes great! We had to do a test run of it, right? :-)
 

Thank you to Everyday Mom for letting me share my steak dry rub gift in a jar and thank you as well for reading and I hope you're able to put Santa's Steak Rub to use...or at least had some fun reading about it. I wish you and yours the very happiest of holiday seasons and Merry Christmas!
 
 
Kathy Penney is a SAHM to 2 little stairsteppers and a former accountant. She has found her calling on her journey of motherhood and is married to her soul mate all the way from Ireland. Kathy volunteers at her son's preschool, is a leader in her church moms' group, and teaches Sunday school to 3 year olds. When she's not chasing or driving kiddos, Kathy enjoys travel, books, movies and concerts. Kathy has also discovered a love of cooking and crafting and blogs about her adventures at Sparkles And A Stove.



No comments: