Everyday Mom's Meals: Two Pot Wonder
_____

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Two Pot Wonder

When I find something in my freezer that I didn't even know was there (okay, maybe I knew and forgot) sometimes I look as it as an opportunity, Sure, I could go ahead and make whatever I had originally planned with it, but most times when I this happens, it's something that leftover or "extra" from another recipe. For example, this came about because I found an extra package of smoked sausage, after buying three when I only needed two. So yes, I could have went ahead and bought one more package and fixed the same meal I had the previous time, but instead I went looking for something new. And what I found is not only delicious and easy, it's a great recipe to feed a crowd. The way it is written here, I would say it would feed 4-5 comfortably. But it could simply be doubled (If you do, use two separate pans for more even cooking) to feed a group much bigger! Plus it has your protein, starch and veggies all in one place! Technically I can't call it a one dish wonder, because you do have to prepare the potatoes in a separate pan, but if you're like me, that one can be washed, dried and put away by the time the oven timer chimes, and you are left with only one to clean after supper! If you are planning on a full house at some point over the next couple weeks, and want to serve more than just one big meal with leftovers for days, this is would be a great solution! Remember to check that freezer now and again too. You never know what inspiration you might find.

Sausage, Potato and Pepper Bake From Hillshire Farm
1 (1 lb.) package turkey smoked sausage, sliced into 1/4" pieces
6 cups red potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 green peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c. chicken broth
1 TBS olive oil
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 400. In a medium saucepan, cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook 10 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain well. In a 9x13 pan, combine potatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and sausage. In a small bowl combine chicken broth, oil and seasonings. Mix well. Pour oil mixture over sausage mixture. Gently stir well to combine and coat. Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes until veggies are tender and potatoes are browned around edges.


Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Dec. 18, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Dec. 19, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Dec. 20, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Dec. 21, 2012

5 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Krista,
We just love a dish like this, it looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Anonymous said...

Without question, this is a dish my husband would absolutely love so it's definitely on my list of new things to fix.

The Better Baker said...

My hubby will love this dish...and me...when I make it for him. I'm not fond of peppers, so will make it without, but looks very tasty. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I don't care for peppers either, so I'm going to substitute broccoli!

Krista said...

That would be yummy! It's a great recipe to adapt :)