Everyday Mom's Meals: Car Repairs and Recipes
_____

Friday, September 26, 2014

Car Repairs and Recipes

Not two things that normally go together, right? But last week, they did for me, and the result is going to be something yummy for you!

I hate car repairs. Ugh. They are so annoying. And more often than not, so expensive. Luckily, this time was a "planned" visit, not unexpected, so it was a tad less painful. 

So as I sat there in the waiting room, finding ways to pass the 3 hours it was going to take for them to finish my car, and I found myself talking food with a couple other ladies also waiting. We were watching Food Network  and discussing what the chef was making, which turned into things we love to make, which then turned into us swapping ideas and recipes. 

One of the ladies said she had just made a recipe for her boyfriend, who is pretty picky, and he loved it. She works weird shifts, and is always looking for ways to use her slow cooker to make meals easier. She said it was great because she could have it cooking while she worked, he could eat when he got home, and it was still just as delicious when she got home later. With our busy schedules, dishes you can eat out of all night long are a must!  

If you love chicken pot pie, you're going to adore this. It's like the inside of a chicken pot pie your grandma used to make, turned into a comforting bowl of soup. Think pot pie without the crust. Which, for me is quite appropriate since when I was a kid I always left the crust on the plate after I ate the entire middle out.

This makes the perfect "set it and forget it" fall supper. It's full of flavor and will warm your family up in no time. I can't say I'm ever going to enjoy getting the car repaired, but at least this time I came out of it 

Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Stew 
3 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
3 c. frozen mixed veggies 
2 (10 3/4 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
1 can water
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. cornstarch
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients except cornstarch in slow cooker. Mix well. Cook on HIGH for 6 hours. Combine cornstarch with 3 tsp. liquid from stew. Stir well, Pour back into stew. Cook until thick, about 10-15 minutes.




Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 26, 2014


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will it work if it cooks on low for a longer amount of time?

Krista said...

I can't say for certain, but I would guess certainly. The only thing I would suggest is you turn it to high when adding the cornstarch. It will not thicken correctly unless it's simmering. Hope this helps!

Unknown said...

This looks so good I can't wait to try it.