Everyday Mom's Meals: Real Southern Food with South Your Mouth Day 2 {A Review}
_____

Friday, July 11, 2014

Real Southern Food with South Your Mouth Day 2 {A Review}

If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram you might have caught my photos of our picnic last week on Independence Day. Picnics are a long standing family tradition during the summer months, and this year's 4th of July one also included a little bit of work for me. 

Work because I knew it would be the perfect time for me to try a second recipe from the new fabulous cookbook I introduced you to Wednesday, from my foodie friend Mandy over at South Your Mouth

Working on the holiday isn't that bad when it includes something yummy to eat! (The only downside is taking the time to get the perfect photo before you load up the picnic basket.) I usually include a side salad of some sort for all our picnics....potato...macaroni...something along those lines, so I knew this recipe would fit right in. After all, it has the word picnic right in the title! 

To be honest with you this would be also be a fabulous summer time lunch (It makes a ton, so just keep it in the fridge all week long!) or even a light supper for those nights when you are super busy and it's too hot to even think about anything heavy and complicated. 

Filled with fresh veggies and zesty flavor, it's sure to please each and every time you serve it up, no matter what the occasion. And be sure to click on the link below to see the great ideas Mandy has for switching out ingredients for even more options! 

I'm so happy summer picnic season is in full swing. If you haven't packed up your picnic basket in a while, I highly recommend it. It's an inexpensive, fun family activity that provides smiles galore and memories to last a lifetime!

Picnic Pasta Salad
1 lb. rotini pasta, uncooked*
Salt
2 medium cucumbers, peeled and chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 (6 oz.) jar green olives, halved
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 1/3 c. Italian dressing

Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente in liberally salted water. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain well. Combine pasta with remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. *NOTE* I used extra large elbows because they were on sale for $.49!! I also added salt and pepper to taste, and some dried parsley for color. 

Mandy includes some alternative versions of this salad in her cookbook. You can also see them on her blog here






Shared on The Country Cook July 11, 2014

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a simple pasta salad that will be perfect for my family reunion! Thanks :)