Everyday Mom's Meals: Steak On A Budget
_____

Monday, July 7, 2014

Steak On A Budget

Are you under the impression you can't have a steak dinner on a budget? Sure, we all know that enjoying a juicy steak made in our own kitchen is much cheaper than our local steakhouse, but if you've been paying attention to beef prices at the grocery store, you know making it at home isn't as economical as it used to be. But I'm here today with a couple tips that will hopefully help you out with that.

As most of you know, we are blessed to have a side of beef in our freezer at all times, so I understand if the thought ran through your mind of "Sure, that's easy for you to say, you've got steaks waiting on you." And yes, you're right. I have everything from T-bones, to Delmonicos to round steak hanging out in my chest freezer. But I'm not naive enough not to pay attention to what the same things are going for in the meat department at the store.

So, you're on a strict grocery budget. But you're craving a grilled to perfect, juicy, flavorful steak. What to do? Well, first off, don't turn your nose up to the less popular, and yes, cheaper, cuts of meat. This recipe is a perfect example of what you can do with them. Secondly, if you know you're fixing a cut of meat that is starting out a "little behind the 8 ball", so to speak, add something to the top that is going to add flavor and texture. Again, this recipe illustrates that beautifully.

We are actually getting to the bottom of our beef supply, and one of the things we still have a surplus of is cubed round steak. Now regular round steak is what I use in all of my soups, so I hoard those packages for cold weather. But for these I figured why not try grilling them; and I took my own advice about the topping. I knew these weren't going to be exactly up to par compared to some of the other steaks we have, but that didn't mean they couldn't be just as delicious.

If you're looking for great steaks to grill this summer, and you can afford the really expensive ones, yay!! (And let me know what time we eat!) But if you're like me and need something a little more budget conscious, check out some of the less common cuts at the butcher and see what mouth watering dishes you can come up with. 

Cubed Round Steak 
with 
Steakhouse Mushrooms
1 1/2 lb. cubed round steak, cut into individual portions*
8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 TBS butter
1 1/2 TBS steak sauce
2 tsp. dried parsley
Steak Seasoning, to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste

Season steaks with steak seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Preheat grill to high. Spray grates with non stick spray. Grill steaks to desired doneness. Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic. Saute' until mushrooms are browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add steak sauce and parsley. Stir. Lower heat and cook 5 minutes until caramelized. Serve over steaks. *NOTE* I was able to cut 1 1/2 lbs. into 4 medium sized steaks for us.






Shared on The Country Cook



3 comments:

The Better Baker said...

YOWZA!!! I <3 this dish! I just saw another similar recipe today...MUST.MAKE.SOON! Thanks a million for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck. This is MY kinda dish.

Lynn said...

My Mom has done cubes steak on the grill with bbq sauce and sautéed onions. Sooo good! I’ll have to try this recipe.

Krista said...

That would be yummy too!!!