Everyday Mom's Meals: Nothing Better {A Post For Earth Fare}
_____

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Nothing Better {A Post For Earth Fare}

There are many ways you could finish that title. Too many to count in fact. But what I'm talking about is the fact that in the summer time, there is nothing better than fresh sun kissed produce. Rather it be from a local farmer, picked yourself from the backyard garden, or the grocery store produce section, finding fresh, in season produce is just one of the many things I love about summer so much. 

On busy, warm nights, basic, simple salads are such a great thing to keep in mind. Quick side dishes made of summer's bounty that go with any meal. I have so many of these, and each is a go-to on those evenings when I'm too hot or tired to cook and my taste buds are screaming for something cool, crisp, refreshing and delicious.

Grilling some steaks or chicken? This would go with them perfectly. Having a cookout? This is a great non mayo salad for outdoor fun. Need something to take along to a potluck? Mix the veggies and take the dressing separately to dress when it's time to serve. It's so versatile, you'll find yourself making it all summer long.

Fresh veggies are one of the things I longed for during those loooonnnngggg winter months of snow and the hateful Polar Vortex. I'm so happy to have them ready and available to enjoy now. I wonder how many more yummy things I can create before the first golden leaves of fall? 

Balsamic Cucumber and Tomato Salad
2 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large tomato, cut into thin wedges
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 TBS balsamic vinegar
2 TBS canola oil
2 tsp. dried basil
Garlic Powder, to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a small bowl whisk together vinegar and oil. Add basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir well. In a large bowl combine all veggies. Pour dressing over. Stir to coat. Chill at least 30 minutes before serving.






Disclaimer: I was provided with a gift card from Earth Fare in exchange for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

1 comment:

MamaMonki said...

I will have to pin this recipe and try it. I have a cucumber tomato onion salad that's made with vinegar and and sugar. My grandma gave me the recipe years ago and it's a summer staple around here. Yours sounds delicious though. Love the idea of using balsamic.Thanks for sharing! http://happilyeverafterfamilyof3.blogspot.com