Everyday Mom's Meals: No Propane, No Problem
_____

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

No Propane, No Problem

Apparently, it's chicken week here on EMM. I didn't plan it that way, but if you saw Monday's recipe for Apple Pecan Chicken Salad, you understand why I say that. I don't know if I have another one for Friday, but be sure to come back to see! 

Today's chicken star came to be for a simple reason. I went outside to grill chicken only to discover we were out of propane. (Thanks, honey, I really appreciate that.) Yep, I was the wife calling her husband at 5:30 pm asking "Um, did you know we were out of propane?" Like he could do anything about it from work. Look, I'm a pretty capable broad. Even things I didn't once do, I can now because over the years I've learned it's easier to do them myself. Hence why I was even attempting to grill in the first place. There was a time that would have never happened. 

But no matter how progressive I am as a woman, there are a few things I don't do...will never do...and have no desire to do. Mowing lawn? Yeah, that's never gonna happen. (You can blame my dad. He had me mow once. The lines were crooked. He was picky. He never asked again.) Changing a tire. Nope, never have, never will. (Again, you can blame my dad for this one too. See, he never taught me. He was always around. I would call him. Then after him, I'd call Adam. And if both of those don't work, road side assistance is terrific.) Swapping out a propane tank. Nope. Not gonna do that either. (This one you can't blame on my dad. I won't do it because I can't lift the tank....no throwing him under the bus this time.)

So anyway, there I was standing in front of the cold as ice grill saying "Great, now what am I going to do with this bird?" Thankfully, while I might not be schooled in the world of tire irons, I do think quickly on my feet, and within a few moments was creating this yummy recipe. 

If you love finger lickin', packed with flavor chicken, you're going to love this! I'm sure the same sauce would be delicious on the grill too, and now that my loving husband has refilled that tank, I could try it. But if you find yourself in the same predicament as me, or maybe it's raining out, fire up the oven and get your sticky on!

Baked Sticky Chicken
2 1/2 lbs. chicken drumsticks 
2 TBS canola oil
1/2 c. soy sauce
2 TBS ketchup
3/4 c. honey
3 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Place chicken in 9 x 13 baking pan, coated with nonstick spray. In a small bowl combine oil, soy sauce, ketchup, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken and baste with brush. Bake for 1 hour until sauce caramelizes. Every 20 minutes spoon soy mixture over chicken. 





Shared on The Country Cook July 18, 2014

No comments: