Everyday Mom's Meals: Seasonal Addiction
_____

Monday, November 11, 2013

Seasonal Addiction

This time of year I'm pretty sure I could eat soup every single night. And if all of those soups could be cooked in the slow cooker, even better. There is something so comforting about being inside all day, watching the leaves blow around outside, knowing there is a chill in the air, with a big pot of soup cooking on the counter all day long. Then when the family gathers around the table tired and cold, they are warmed and satisfied instantly.

So, why don't I just plan on soup every night of the week? Well, because we are very much an "anti-rut" family when it comes to our food. We want to make sure we never tire of the things we love. Who wants to ruin such a good thing by over doing it? It's kind of like the child who wished Christmas could be every day, and by about a month into it, regretted the wish, realizing something so special can only come once per year. 

When I saw first saw this soup, it reminded me of another one I make, only it is prepared on the stove top, my Italian White Bean Soup. Something I've been making for years, it has now become a favorite of my friends who have tried it too. In fact, it reminded me of it so much, I decided to add spinach to this one to resemble it a little more. 

This is a hearty soup that eats like a meal. Bake up some corn bread, and call it a day. It's rich, cooked all day flavor will make it one you go back to again and again, over the next few months as the cold sets in. 

If you're addicted to soup this time of year too, I guess you can call me your enabler. That's okay. There are worse things we could be addicted to!

Crock Pot White Bean and Sausage Soup Adapted from The Southern Lady Cooks
1 lb. pork sausage
1 c. dried northern white beans
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of celery soup
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 c. water
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
3 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 TBS dried basil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 c. fresh spinach
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage with onion. Season with basil. Drain fat. Place in Crock Pot. Add all other ingredients, except spinach. Cook on LOW 7 hours. About 20 minutes before finished, add spinach and stir well. Cook until spinach is wilted, but still vibrant green.


Shared on The Country Cook Nov. 15, 2013

Soups at Very Good Recipes

No comments: