Everyday Mom's Meals: A Classic Revisted
_____

Friday, November 29, 2013

A Classic Revisted

Today's recipe has been a staple in our house for a very long time. In fact, it was already blogged back when only maybe five people, including my mom, read EMM. And if you remember, my "foodie resolution" for 2013 was to revisit some of those "back in the day" posts, and re-blog them for everyone to enjoy again. So, since the year is quickly winding down, I had to make sure this was on the list!

The first time I ever had a Greek salad was at one of our favorite restaurants here in Fort Wayne. It's a nicer place, and one we go to for only special occasions, so in my mind this salad option will always be a little on the fancy side, when it reality, it could not be easier to make!

I love entertaining with salad, as a first course; but they also make an incredible light, but still filling, weeknight salad supper. They are a very common star on our dinner table during the warm summer months, but we love them so much I am required to make them year round. Especially now that the little man has also fallen in love with them; and not only does he love them, but he will actually eat the one part of this salad that I won't touch. The anchovies. His father loves them; and when I serve them to others, I always have them as an option, but to me, they just aren't appetizing. So to see my son not only like them, but ask for extra kinda makes me giggle. And proves once again, this child has the most diverse palate of any 9 year old I know!

Greek Salads
1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1 (15 oz.) can pitted black olives, drained (see note below)
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained
1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 (15 oz.) can sliced beets, drained and chopped
1 small container crumbed feta cheese
1 small tin anchovies in olive oil, optional
Greek Dressing

Divide lettuce, olives, green peppers, pineapple, beets and feta among plates evenly. This amount will make 3 large dinner salads, or 4 small side salads. For those wanting anchovies, add to very top. Serve with dressing on side. *NOTE* I prefer to make these with kalamata olives. They are the most authentic. However, sometimes the budget doesn't allow it, and black olives work just as well.





No comments: