Everyday Mom's Meals: Thanksgiving Planning
_____

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Thanksgiving Planning

Have you started yet? If not, don't worry, I'm sure most haven't, but as we've already established, I'm a planner. With a capital P. Not to mention, I have to plan ahead so I can share yummy ideas with all of you , in time so that you can plan!

I have to admit, the family isn't complaining about all the planning and recipe testing. It kinda makes November one month long feast. Which is actually kinda funny since I don't cook on the actual holiday! Well, okay, that's not completely true. I usually do have to take something with us to our family gathering(s), but I'm not in charge of the huge meal. I have been before. I have been the one prepping food for the whole week, while the turkey defrosts in the fridge, but it just isn't normally how it works out. So really, the fact that I try to come up with a few things that might work for your holiday, is a big advantage to my boys!

My favorite thing on Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie. The end. No contest. But...it has to be my mom's pumpkin pie. Sure, I like others, but I will never enjoy any of them as much as hers. Hence why even though she makes it on Turkey Day, we demand she make it again on Christmas Day as well. We can't get enough of it. In fact, both myself and my child have been known to request it instead of cake on our birthdays. Yes, it is that good.

So you can understand why I don't have a recipe for it on the blog, nor will I ever. I won't make it. She does. That's all I need. But I still want pumpkin desserts in my life, so I find other ways. These came out of my recipe for pumpkin fluff, taken to the next level. Add some easy mini pie shells, and you have a party on a plate. Plus, you could easily make a ton of these if your Thanksgiving crowd is a big one. They truly are the perfect little holiday bite.

If you have began to plan your menu for the big day, I applaud you. If you are more the "wait until the last possible minute" that's okay too...we will get through it together!

Mini Pumpkin Tarts
1 box (2 count) refrigerated pie crusts
1 (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
1 (3.5 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding
1 c. Cool Whip, extra for garnish
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 450. Allow pie crusts to come to room temperature. Using a 2 inch cutter (cookie cutter, glass, etc.) cut out circles from dough. (You should get between 12-18) Spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Place a dough circle in each one. Spray again with nonstick spray. Bake for 8 minutes until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. In a medium bowl combine pumpkin, pudding mix (powder only), and 1 cup Cool Whip. In a small bowl combine cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Add 1/2 tsp. of mixture to pumpkin. Stir well. Scoop about 1 TBS of mixture into cooled pie shells. (I use a cookie scoop) and sprinkle with extra spice mixture. Chill until serving. *NOTE* When baking shells, they might bubble up in the middle a bit. When you remove them from the oven, carefully press down in the middle with the backside of a spoon to reshape. Don't worry if they break a little, the filling will cover it up, just make sure you don't break through the bottom.  You will also have to do more than one batch of shells to use all filling.












Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: