Everyday Mom's Meals: After the Turkey
_____

Monday, November 2, 2015

After the Turkey

Happy November! We are officially two days in...are you dreaming about turkey, stuffing, and gravy yet? If not, you're missing out because I'm drooling just typing that!

I can't help it. As soon as the costumes and candy are put away for another year, I move right into Thanksgiving mode. Okay, I can't lie, in my heart, I'm already singing Christmas Carols, but I do try to enjoy each holiday as they come. And with this food blogging gig, it's important I plan ahead so I can share as many ideas with all of you as I can before the big day.

This one isn't actually for your holiday feast, I created it thinking more about those days after Turkey Day. Sure, for the first couple leftovers are the name of the game. From sandwiches to soups to any other way we can find to use all that turkey, it is a tradition. But on about day  four, I know many of you will be craving something else, vowing not to eat another bite of turkey until November 2016...or at least until Christmas!

I am sharing this super simple, one pot meal, in the spirit of 1. leftover holiday guests you have to feed 2. the need for something other than bird and 3. a meal that will come together quickly on those upcoming days when you're out holiday shopping and completely exhausted come dinner time. It will work for any or all of them!

We are chili lovers, but my boys can not eat a bowl of it without adding some macaroni to it. Me? Not so much. But I always make sure I have some for them, and this is based on the same idea. Chili. Macaroni. Meat. Beans. Cheese. All the same flavors in a hearty, goulash with a kick, type of dinner.

Plan that Thanksgiving menu, but remember to include some ideas for the aftermath when the family is begging for something other than turkey!

One Skillet Chili Mac
1 lb. ground beef
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 c. extra large elbow macaroni
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
1 (15 oz.) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 c. shredded Mexican style cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried chives

In a large skillet brown beef and onion over medium heat. Drain if necessary. Add tomatoes, beans, chilies, tomato sauce, chili powder and garlic salt. Stir to combine. Add macaroni. Stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until macaroni tender. Turn off heat. Sprinkle with cheese. Replace lid until cheese melts. Garnish with chives.








Shared at Weekend Potluck

3 comments:

Jessica Nunemaker said...

Sounds good! Our oldest just LOVES chili. I hadn't thought to add macaroni to it...because *I* love pasta! Ha ha!

Jennifer said...

Is there supposed to be water or more liquid?

Krista said...

Hi Jennifer

No. The liquid from the tomatoes and the tomato sauce gives off enough to cook the pasta. If you think yours is a little dry, you could always add a splash of water.