Everyday Mom's Meals: Happy (Almost) Thanksgiving!
_____

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Happy (Almost) Thanksgiving!

You've got 24 hours people! I hope the turkey is almost thawed, the menu is planned and the house is cleaned because they are coming! Your guests and their big appetites will be knocking on your door, ready to make more holiday memories.

Have you got the entire meal planned out? Prepped? Maybe even some of it cooked ahead? If so, high *5* to you! That is how I like to do it too! But maybe a few of you are still looking for one more dish to add to your Thanksgiving feast. Or maybe you aren't hosting, but instead need something to take with you that is both easy and travel friendly. If either of the latter apply to you, your friendly EMM is here to help!

Thanksgivings of my childhood were always spent at my Grammy's in Pennsylvania. These are meals that still live in infamy to this day. We are talking about her cooking and baking for up to two weeks before, and putting out a meal fit for a king. The first time I ever took Mr. E to one of these holidays, while we were still dating, he could not believe the amount of food. It was normal to all of us, impressive yes, but what we had come to expect. But 15 years later, he still tells our son the story about how it was more food than he had ever seen on one table; and how he ate so much he literally could not move after. 

Those holiday meals always included our favorites she knew we loved, plenty of sides, and always at least one "sweet salad" as I like to call it. You know the ones. They are sweet enough for dessert, but you serve them as a side, call them a salad, and then you can still have pie for dessert. 

In that spirit, I knew this would be the perfect recipe to share today. I've been wanting to try it for a while now, but figured Thanksgiving Eve was the most appropriate time. Not only will it look beautiful on your table tomorrow, it includes one of the ambassadors of Thanksgiving foods...the cranberry

You could easily whip this up tonight and just let it chill until it is time to eat tomorrow, or grab it and go before you walk out the door.

Those Thanksgivings I remember with such love, and happy memories will always be the ones I try to emulate now with my family. And while I may not have the Pennsylvania snow, or Grammy's mad baking skills, I can include things like this on my menu, and eat with a smile.

Cranberry Fluff
1 (12 oz.) bag fresh cranberries
1 (12 oz.) tub Cool Whip
1 c. crushed pineapple, drained
1 large Red Delicious Apple, chopped
1 c. sliced red grapes
1 c. chopped pecans, a few for garnish
2 c. mini marshmallows
1 c. white sugar

In a food processor, pulse cranberries until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Add sugar. Stir. Chill for 2-3 hours. Add pineapple, grapes, apple and pecans. Stir to combine. Fold in Cool Whip and marshmallows. Chill for at least 1-2 hours to set. Garnish with extra pecans. *NOTE* I like to leave the skin on my apple because 1. the red color is pretty and 2. it helps to keep it from browning.









Shared at Weekend Potluck
Shared at Meal Plan Monday
Recipe from Six Sisters' Stuff

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Hi! My husband and I are throwing a staff Christmas dinner at our house on Thursday and I am considering making this recipe. Can it be made a day ahead of time and still taste and look good?
Thanks!

Krista said...

Oh absolutely!

Krista said...

Oh absolutely!