Everyday Mom's Meals: For The Meat Free Fans
_____

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

For The Meat Free Fans

We are meat lovin' people. I have never tried to hide that fact. In fact, we wear it as a badge of honor, as we cut into our juicy steaks, pork chops and roasts. I have said it before, and will again, as much as we love our vegetables, there is just not way we could ever give up meat entirely. But I also realize more and more people are doing just that, and making it a true lifestyle change in their life, so today I've got something just for them, or for your parents out there trying to get one more veggie into the kids.

If your kids fight you tooth and nail every time you say "you have to eat your vegetables", I feel for you. I can't say I know how you feel, because as most of you know, my son has never met a vegetable he doesn't like, but I truly do have empathy for those parents who are in the constant struggle. I have a lot of moms ask me how they can entice their kids with meals that include veggies; and I have to be honest with them. When in doubt, pair them with something they already love, or in dire times....hide 'em! And this meal accomplishes both of those in one dish!

Pasta and cheese. What kid is going to turn that down? And if they happened to have some broccoli and cauliflower mixed in...even better! My family did not miss the meat one bit. In fact, when he first saw it my husband asked if there was chicken in it. (So if your kids ask the same, feel free to tell a little white lie, if it makes dinner time easier!) There is so much ooey gooey cheese, it's hard to even think about the veggies you are eating. But if you're a veggie lover, like us, you too will enjoy every single bite.

I know many who are taking the meat free option, and I respect it 100%. And with the love affair I have with veggies, at times it even sounds appealing. But then a juicy tender medium rare steak waves at me from the grill and I'm once again reminded of how much we enjoy it. But if you are looking for more meat free options, or simply trying to incorporate more veggies into your kids' diets, this meal will satisfy all!

Cheesy Veggie Pasta Bake Featured on SpacesQuarterly.com
3 c. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
2 c. frozen cauliflower, thawed and cut into small pieces
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
12 oz. egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 c. sour cream
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. onion powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl combine broccoli, cauliflower, soup, noodles, sour cream, onion powder, salt, pepper and ½ c. mozzarella. Pour into a greased 9×13 baking pan. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until bubbly.



Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 20, 2013
Pasta at Very Good Recipes

No comments: