Everyday Mom's Meals: Back To Back Comparison
_____

Friday, September 6, 2013

Back To Back Comparison

A couple days ago I featured my Mom's Goulash, the recipe I had grown up with, and now make for my family regularly. It's simple, tasty and a perfect weeknight supper. And until recent years, it was the only version I knew; but as my culinary knowledge and experiences have expanded, I have discovered there are many different versions of this classic, and today I'm sharing another, that is nothing like the first, but just as yummy, in different ways!

When I first came across this recipe, two things caught my eye. Goulash and Crock Pot. My brain immediately went to that stand by recipe I've used for years and I thought "Oh yeah, I bet you could do that in the slow cooker, making it even easier." Then I went on to read the recipe and realized it was very different than what I was picturing.

According to Wikipedia, "Goulash is a soup or stew of meat, noodles and vegetables, seasoned with paprika and other spices, originating from Hungary."  Um, okay, so I guess this is actually closer to a traditional goulash than what I've been calling goulash all these years.

However, in the same article on Wikipedia, it mentions "American Goulash, mentioned in cookbooks dating back to 1914, consists of ground meat, elbow macaroni, and tomatoes in some form." Ah, okay now I see what happened. Someone way back when decided to Americanize a recipe, and a new, very different version was born.

This actually reminds me of another dish that is popular in our house, because it's Mr. Everyday's favorite, Beef Stroganoff, but the addition of tomatoes makes is a very different flavor profile. This is the perfect weeknight supper. Prepare it in the morning before work. Set it and forget it. When you get home, you'll have some noodles to cook and sour cream to stir into the beef mixture. Supper can literally be on the table in about 20 minutes! And the beef? Oh my. So tender. So flavorful. And the sauce over the noodles...YUM!

However you choose to eat your goulash, rather it be a more traditional way, or a more American version, it's a delicious family friendly dish. And nothing says one way is the best way. Personally, I like having different versions of something familiar. It prevent the meal rut we all seem to find now and again.

Crock Pot Hungarian Goulash From Taste of Home
2 lbs. round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
2 TBS flour
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
8 oz. sour cream
1 lb. egg noodles
2 TBS butter
2 TBS dried parsley

Place beef and onions in bottom of slow cooker. In a small bowl combine flour, paprika, garlic salt, and pepper. Mix well. Sprinkle over meat and onions. Stir to coat. Add tomatoes. Stir to combine. Add bay leaf. Cook on LOW 8-10 hours until meat is tender. Just before serving, boil egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and return to hot pot. Stir in butter and parsley. Add sour cream to beef mixture and stir well. Serve beef over hot egg noodles. Garnish with extra parsley.


Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 6, 2013
Crock Pot at Very Good Recipes

No comments: