Everyday Mom's Meals: More Than A Happy Meal
_____

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

More Than A Happy Meal

When McDonald's first advertised they were going to have oatmeal on their menu I have to admit I was intrigued. The picture on the tv commercial made my mouth water, which was kind of strange b/c I've never been the biggest oatmeal fan. But the thought of a sweet, maple and brown sugar flavor, with fresh fruit--it had even me saying "yum". Luckily, not more than a few days later, my mom gave me a coupon from the newspaper---FREE oatmeal. Well, if I wasn't interested before, I was now. I'll try anything once, especially if it's free!! Well, maybe not anything, but close to it! Well, it was love at first bite! The warm oatmeal, with a hint of sweetness, crunch of apple, and chewiness of golden raisins--it was a love song in my mouth! It has become a favorite treat of mine on a chilly fall and winter mornings. I drop Alex off at school and with my novel in tow, I head to the golden arches for a stick to my ribs kind of breakfast. (See, sometimes I do eat breakfast...in the morning!) On my latest trip to my favorite booth, I decided there was no reason why I couldn't make a version of this at home, to enjoy anytime, and probably Alex too. The morning after our first night dipping into the 30's was the perfect time to experiment! I made a big bowl w/ the intention of Alex and I sharing. By the time I was done cleaning up the mess.....he had eaten the entire thing! I guess he liked it! Actually, I know he did b/c he told me about twenty times...."Mommy, this is so good." I guess I'll have to try it during the week when he's at school; but from the smell I know it was close! McDonald's has nothing on me! Now I just need to learn how to recreate those addicting fries :)

Maple and Fruit Oatmeal

1/2 c. old fashioned oats
1 c. water
Dash of salt
1 tsp milk ( I like the creaminess it adds, and it helps to cool it down for Alex)
1/3 c. chopped apple
1 TBS brown sugar
3 tsp maple syrup
1/4 c. Craisins
Cinnamon, optional

Combine oats, water and salt in a microwave safe dish. Cook, covered, on high for 2-3 minutes. Stir in milk and let sit for about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and maple syrup and stir well. Add apple and Craisins. Garnish w/ cinnamon, if desired.

~Join me for Tasty Tuesday on Formula Mom~


Shared on Celebrating Family Oct. 25, 2011
Shared on Chef in Training Oct. 25, 2011
Shared on Naptime Creations Oct. 25, 2011
Shared on Sweetology Oct. 25, 2011
Shared on This Chick Cooks Oct. 26, 2011
Shared on Lady Behind the Curtain Oct. 26, 2011
Shared on Hugs & Cookies Oct. 26, 2011
Shared on Lark's Country Heart Oct. 26, 2011
Shared on Bacon Time Oct. 26, 2011
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Oct. 27, 2011
Shared on It's a Keeper Oct. 27, 2011
Shared on Around My Family Table Oct. 27, 2011
Shared on A Little Nosh Oct. 27, 2011
Shared on Jane Deere Oct. 28, 2011
Shared on Simply Sweet Home Oct. 28, 2011
Shared on Six Sisters' Stuff Oct. 29, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Oct. 31, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch Jan. 18, 2012

Breakfast at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

4 comments:

CEK said...

Sounds perfect for this cooler weather Krista :)

SImple and Serene Living said...

I'm an oatmeal fanatic. Just finished my morning bowl 8-)

Happy new follower from the Tuesday blog hop.
Laura
http://imsovintage.blogspot.com/

Jennifer {Mother Thyme} said...

We love oatmeal in our home, actually just made it for my twins this morning. I love new variations and I'll have to give this a try, thanks!

Miz Helen said...

I just love Oatmeal and sometimes have it every day in the winter. This is a great recipe that I would enjoy. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen