Everyday Mom's Meals: Easter Must-Have From The Dairy
_____

Sunday, March 26, 2023

Easter Must-Have From The Dairy

 Since I began blogging, almost 12 years ago, I have been blessed to work with countless companies and organizations. One on that list that brings me the most pride is most definitely Indiana Dairy Farmers. 

Years ago I did a monthly post for them and through that I got to know one very special local dairy farm run by the Kuehnert family. 

Kuehnert Dairy Farm

 

The Kuehnert Dairy Farm is celebrating 125 years of "bottling memories" (their words, not mine) and I am so incredibly proud to know this family and the work they do on the farm is amazing. The 5th generation is carrying on the family tradition and there are some big things happening on the farm!

Kuehnert Dairy Farm

Every fall the Kuehnerts open their 1200-acre farm up to the public for their annual Fall Festival, and I can tell you it is some of the best fun you will have in a corn maze, plus so much more! Both of my boys have enjoyed it and our little guy can NOT wait to go back this year! It will run from September 15-October 29, 2023 and I can tell you it is already on our calendar!

Kuehnert Dairy Farm Fall Festival

In 2023 the Kuehnert Milk House will be opening! This on-farm store will be offering the freshest milk and dairy products around; and I can NOT wait!

Kuehnert Milk House
So when my friend Sarah posted the Kuehnert family macaroni and cheese recipe, I asked her if I could share it with my readers. It was an extra cheesy, custard style old fashioned mac and cheese, unlike any other I've ever made, and I told her it would be perfect for an Easter side dish! 

This macaroni and cheese has not one, not two, but THREE cheeses for extra ooey gooey factor. My boys gobbled this down and asked for more.
 
I know so many families include a great mac and cheese on their Easter menu, and this one would be so tasty with that big glazed ham. But honestly, it's easy enough for any night of the week too! 
 
If you are in my area, I hope you will check out the Kuehnert Dairy site, maybe schedule a tour with a school class, plan a trip to the fall festival and visit the milk house when it opens. This is a great family doing great things for our community. We *heart* our dairy farmers!
 
What Kind Of Cheese To Use 
This recipe calls for three different cheeses, and it is a great way to use up whatever you have in the fridge. I used cheddar, cheddar jack and mozzarella for an extra smooth flavor. 

Do I Have To Boil The Macaroni First
Yes, for this recipe the elbows have to be cooked to just al dente before baked. If you're looking for a no-boil recipe, I have one of those too, just scroll down to the end of the page!

Should I Shred My Own Cheese
When it comes to shredded cheese in a bag, people have strong opinions. If I am making a homemade cheese sauce I always shred my own, but for a recipe like this, I don't have any issues using pre-shredded.

Can I Use Milk In Place Of Evaporated Milk

The simple answer is no. Evaporated milk has a thicker texture than regular and therefore can't be swapped same for same. If you need to substitute it, try 3/4 cup whole milk mixed with 1/4 cup half-and-half. This recipe actually uses both evaporated and regular, and both are needed for the best texture.


Baked Three-Cheese Macaroni

Best Tips

Make sure to not overcook the macaroni. You want a little bite left (al dente) so it can finish cooking in the oven.

Don't try to use all regular milk. The evaporated milk really helps to make this extra creamy.

Use any combo of cheeses you like, that add up to 6 cups total. 

This is great frozen too. Bake, cool and cut into individual portions to reheat later.  

You can also prepare this in the Crock Pot. Mix all ingredients except 1/2 cup cheese and paprika in a greased Crock Pot. Add cheese and paprika. Cook on low for 3 hours.

Baked Three-Cheese Macaroni

 Baked Three-Cheese Macaroni

8 oz. elbow macaroni

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

2 cups shredded cheddar-jack cheese

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1 (12 oz.) can evaporate milk

1 1/2 cups milk

1/4 cup butter, melted

2 eggs, beaten

Salt and Pepper

Dash of paprika

Fresh parsley, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350. Cook macaroni to al dente and drain well. In a large bowl combine pasta with all other ingredients. Stir well. Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish. Cook for 50 minutes until set. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Baked Three-Cheese Macaroni
Shared at Weekend Potluck

 

More Mac and Cheese Recipes To Try

Sheet Pan Macaroni and Cheese

No-Boil Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Copycat Cracker Barrel Macaroni and Cheese

Pub Macaroni and Cheese

Stove-Top Creamy Macaroni and Cheese 

Mac and Cheese Cupcakes 

Queso Chili Mac 

Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese





No comments: