Everyday Mom's Meals: Easter Planning
_____

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Easter Planning

Have you started to brainstorm your Easter menu yet? I am well on my way to being done with mine, but I realize not everyone is totally OCD  when it comes to planning like me. Regardless if you've begun, or just groaned at the thought, I have a terrific recipe that could easily be added to your menu...or be a tasty side dish this week for supper! 

I have mentioned before my boys are mac and cheese connoisseurs. They like it any way they can get it, from the blue box to my homemade no-boil baked version passed down from my grandma. But when it comes to restaurants, the #1 choice for my oldest has always been Cracker Barrel's. Since he was little, he has proclaimed it to be his favorite and the best one he can find when we go out to eat...and believe me he has tried many! 

He loves the thick, creamy texture, but hands down, his favorite part is the little bits of browned edges that you get with every portion. While others might think these crispy pieces are burnt or a mistake, he has always coveted them like they were gold! "Mom! I got extra brown pieces!" 

I don't know why it took me so long to make a version at home, but I was a rock star with this one! The funniest part is I had never had it myself, so I had to wait for the teenager to taste it to tell me if it was right. According to him I nailed it!

I use extra sharp cheddar in my baked mac and cheese recipe, but this one calls for Colby, giving it a milder flavor. Cooking it both on the stove top and then baking it produces that creamy texture plus the browned edges he loves. I scored some major mom points the night I made this! 

I know so many families who love to have macaroni and cheese on their Easter table, specifically if ham is served,  and this Copycat Cracker Barrel version would be perfect! This recipe is perfect for 4, but could easily be doubled or even tripled! Honestly, if it was me, I would make 2 or 3 batches, but in separate 8x8 pans for even cooking. 

I can taste the cheesy goodness next to a slice of sweet and savory glazed ham right now. I *might* be starting to drool at just the thought of it!

I would be honored if you add this to your Easter menu, making it a new tradition. Or if you just need another idea for a simple weeknight supper, I'm totally here for that too! 

Oh, and if you really want to get a big jump on that Easter menu, I've got a great collection of 100 side dishes perfect with ham over on Parade you should check out! 


 

Copycat Cracker Barrel Mac & Cheese

1 lb. elbow macaroni

3 cups shredded Colby cheese, divided use

2 cups milk

5 TBS butter

1/3 cup flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 8x8 baking dish. Cook macaroni to al dente. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth and cook for 2-3 minutes until a light roux forms. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Cook for 3-5 minutes until thickened. Add 2 cups cheese in small batches, stirring constantly until smooth cheese sauce forms. Season with salt and pepper. When macaroni is cooked, drain well. Add to skillet and stir well. Transfer to baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes until bubbly and slightly browned.  


Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: