Everyday Mom's Meals: Here's To You Grandma
_____

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Here's To You Grandma

Grandma's food. For most people, those 2 simple words bring images to mind of fresh baked cookies, pies cooling on the counter top, holidays w/ the family gathered around the table. Or at least it's that way for me. Both of my grandmas are fabulous cooks and each have their own "section" in my recipe box. This is truly one of the easiest recipes I've ever made. It was passed down to me from my Grandma Powell. It is very easily adaptable to feed 3 or a crowd. It makes both a great side dish and/or main dish. And works perfectly for a potluck b/c it travels so well. Of all the mac and cheese recipes I have, this will always be the one nearest and dearest to my heart.  Note, the macaroni is NOT boiled first :) Hence why it's extra easy!

Easy Baked Mac and Cheese
1 lb. elbow macaroni, DRY
4 cups milk, 2% or whole works best
4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste

In a greased 9x13 add dry pasta. Add milk. Stir. Add 1 cup cheese. Stir. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well.  Add remaining cheese to top and bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour- 1 hour and 10 minutes until browned and bubbly.

*The milk should cover the pasta by about 1-2 inches to ensure proper cooking. 

* This can be adapted to make more as long as the amount of milk is always 2x the amount of pasta. Of course, extra cheese would be needed and the cooking time increased. But the most important thing is the pasta to milk ratio.

*Another tip: If you cook an entire pan of this, once cool, cut into individual serving "squares" and freeze. They make great quick suppers and/or lunches.



Shared on Make Ahead Meals Aug. 15, 2011
Shared on The Saturday Evening Pot Aug. 15, 2011
Shared on Jam Hands Aug. 15, 2011
Shared on My Faith and Family Aug. 15, 2011
Shared on Nap Time Creations Aug. 16, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch Aug. 17, 2011
Shared on Everyday Sisters Nov. 6, 2011
Featured on Everyday Sisters Nov. 13, 2011


10 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Nothing better than Grandma's food. Especially the memories that come with it!

PattiKaye said...

Can this be cooked in a slow cooker also?

Krista said...

To be honest, I've only ever baked it because that's how Grandma did it and who am I to change?? LOL But seriously, I don't think it would turn out the same b/c of the milk and non boiled macaroni. I would be afraid of the milk curdling or the macs not getting cooked. But if you try it, by all means, please let me know if it works!

Unknown said...

Hi,Found you by way of The Country Cook. Your Mac and cheese looks good. Never saw a recipe that you did not have to cook the pasta first. My granddaughter is learning to cook,this, will be a good one for her. Won't have to worry about her getting burned draining the pasta. Thanks for sharing.

Krista said...

Hi Patricia! Thanks for stopping by! You're so right about your granddaughter being able to do this, it's great for beginner cooks. If you like the idea of "no boil" pasta bakes, I've got a great ziti one coming up next week, so be sure to stop back :)

The Better Baker said...

Amazing recipe!! I had s friend who always made mac n cheese with uncooked pasta. I never tried making it but will certainly give this a try!!! Bless your grandma for such a great recipe. ��

ndozier said...

Can someone give at least a “ball park” amount of the SALT? Just what would normally go in at a restaurant, for instance.....I have no idea.

Krista said...

I use kosher salt and probably use a good tablespoon. You can always go back and add more though so you might want to start with 1-2 teaspoons.

Anita said...

I've tried this twice now using 2% milk and both times was watery. I did double the recipe so maybe that's the problem? Any suggestions?

Krista said...

Hi Anita
Sorry you've had issues. I've only ever used 2% so I don't think it's that. I've also doubled and even tripled the recipe before. Did you increase the cooking time? If the recipe is increased, the cooking time needs to be as well. You will have to cover it with foil after the top is browned so the inside can finish and set up.