Everyday Mom's Meals: I Didn't Love Them As A Kid
_____

Sunday, January 23, 2022

I Didn't Love Them As A Kid

When I was growing up I did not enjoy some "kid friendly" foods other children my age craved. For example, I was not a fan of tacos or corn dogs. How did this occur? Well, my dad was a meat and potatoes kind of guy, and some of those "fun" foods weren't ones my mom made. But she also raised me right, and every time I was at a friend's house for supper and it was taco night, I ate with a smile and didn't utter a word! 

It wasn't until I was a teenager I learned to enjoy Mexican food and Chinese food, and they quickly became favorites. Ironically, my dad loves Mexican food now too! Once he got a taste for it, he couldn't get enough, and he would be happy to see tacos on his supper table these days. 

I was actually an adult before I tasted a corn dog I truly enjoyed. It was at a local street fair and Alex wanted one, so we shared. Oh my gosh! I ended up getting another one. I had to know why this one tasted different from any other I had every tried. Have you guessed it yet? Honey. The extra bite of sweetness put the flavor over the top for me and since that day, I have loved them as much as my kids, as long as they contain that magic ingredient. 

Imagine my delight when I found boxed, frozen corn dogs at Aldi that declared right on the box "made with honey in the batter!" They have become a staple in our house, so when I saw this new internet craze, I knew they would be perfect for this brilliant idea.

Take frozen corn dogs, take the stick out, add some chili, cheese and onions and ta-da...Chili Cheese Corn Dogs! How genius! 

Looking for a simple supper this week that the kids will love? Done! Trying to plan the menu for your Super Bowl party in a few weeks? Done! 

I wasn't a picky eater as a kid, Lord knows mom wouldn't have allowed that; but how funny is it the few things I didn't enjoy were ones other kids begged for? Thank goodness I grew to love them all so my kids could too! 

  

Chili Cheese Corn Dogs

2 (6 count) boxes frozen corn dogs

2 (15 oz.) cans chili without beans

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 medium white onion, diced

1/4 cup yellow mustard

Preheat oven to 375. Bake corn dogs for 13-15 minutes, or according to package directions. While corn dogs bake, warm chili on stove top. Once corn dogs are cooked through, carefully remove stick. Using a sharp knife, cut down the center of each corn dog. Squeeze or spoon a small amount of mustard into each. Spoon chili into each. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 10 minutes more until cheese is melted. Top with diced onion.


 

No comments: